Saturday, July 28, 2007

Oh, darn it.

My stupid heart just turned on.

I had spent the morning and a little bit of the afternoon reading Shannon Hale's Austenland, feeling deliciously enwrapped in escapist fiction, comfortably eating sandwiches and completely cut off from the world.

And then, later, as I was looking for a picture in one of my files, I came across all these images of my family and came to myself rather wrenchingly. I couldn't help dwelling over photos of my nephew, grinning with chapped lips and a snotty nose (and those wonderfully adorable blue, blue eyes) at the camera; my niece, face turned slightly away, eyebrows knitted, tongue (just visible behind an O-shaped mouth) tucked thoughtfully in the corner of her cheek; and my dad, eyes crinkling behind years of seeing his children grow from funny little monsters into funny (and sometimes helplessly lost and needy) grown-ups, eyes that I realized are just like mine.

I miss my family.

I miss my old town.

I want to go home and see the mountains and drive up the canyon until all I can see are aspen trees, leaves like coins turning yellow-gold in the ancient light of summer afternoons; I want to smell the mountain morning while walking up the hills on dusty trails, the heat from the early sun already squeezing my pores and making my eyes ache with light.

Please know this: I know I am here and I know I'm here for a good long while. And really, it doesn't bother me all that much. I like it here a great deal; I think, in time, I may even learn to love it.

But there's still a part of me that wishes I could have a piece of that old life in my pocket, just so I could, when I needed to, take it out and dive into a place that feels and is completely Home.

7 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Funny thing is, when you finally do leave the East Coast you'll probably feel the same longing for Boston that you currently feel for Utah.

Will you be going home for the holidays?

Lindsay said...

Amen and amen!

But I want you to know that it does get better. At least it has for me. As time goes on and you immerse yourself in your new life and new home, it will get easier. And maybe, after you've gone back to visit the "old" home a time or two, you'll find yourself getting homesick for your "new" home. ;)

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

Home is where the heart will always be.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Too true, folks. And Kim, I do intend to fly home for Christmas.

If I can get a job, that is... Hmm...

Anonymous said...

Me too... And I miss you!

Your Name said...

I know what it feels like to leave a home you have treasured--it's like your heart is being torn in two and you'll never be able to pick up the pieces. But when you look back, you will realize it wasn't being torn, but merely stretched beyond its normal abilities. Just remember, once its stretched, your heart will have a greater capacity to love both places.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Amen, Ms. Gypsy.