Sunday, July 01, 2007

Cry me a river

Oh, how sad, how sad am I.

I'm single.

I don't have babies.

In short, as a young(ish) LDS woman I am pretty much a washout.

Which seriously makes me start to wonder here, folks...what does this mean? Do I have to find unconventional ways to feel like I'm fulfilling my mission here on earth? Am I destined for singlehood forever? Am I just that repulsive?

Maybe I'll meet a nice young returned missionary tomorrow in fast & testimony meeting. Maybe that new white skirt I bought (yeah--that swishy one) and that one necklace and that brown shirt will be just what it takes to catch someone's eye and he'll say to himself, "My, what an interesting gal! How I'd love to marry her and make all her dreams come true! But first we must go on plenty of enjoyable dates. And also I think I'll kiss her on that one bridge over the Charles River. Because I'm just that romantic."

Or perhaps I will sit through the meeting, talk to my roommates and try not to think too much about the way I'm still bulgy around the middle and have crooked glasses and a sometimes vacant expression and pretty much no ability to speak to people I don't know for any considerable length of time.

I'll leave it to you to guess which it will be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear, The hour of midnight is not a very objective one. So often it seems that our worst selves storm to the surface and swallow up every good and wholesome thought. So...I know that you got up this morning, and you did go to church. I hope that you were able to subdue that ugly "natural man" (woman) voice, and to feel how deeply you are loved by the God of all Creation. I hope that you were able to remember how precious you are to all the people here on earth who love you, who delight in your creativity and humor and who see beauty in you always. Tell that ugly voice to take a vacation, to hit the road, to "get thee behind me." You do not belong to that ugly voice. He paid nothing for you, but only seeks to rob you of peace and joy. The One who bought your salvation at the price of His own blood has declared you to be of infinite worth. Stop arguing with Him, and yield yourself to His love.

Mama M said...

OOPS! That was me, of course. I hit the anonymous button by mistake. And I still mean it.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

You know, I spent years searching for Mr. Wonderful and wondering what was wrong with me because he hadn't found/dated/married me yet. It was only later that I learned that while I was pining in Provo he was still on a mission or attending the WRONG school (some no-name place called USC :).

My point is that I spent all that time thinking something was wrong with me, when the truth was that Phillip and I just hadn't crossed paths yet. Keep being your best self, and you'll find your sweetheart. And when you do, you'll be amazed at how well he matches you. The delightful quirks that make you our dear Beth will be the things he loves most about you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth, I've been having the same kind of feelings this week. I just got off the phone with a friend that was helping her six year old frost cookies. While she was trying to keep him from frosting the walls I had time to think...why don't I have a six year old? I don't even have a crush...let alone a boyfriend. But then I thought about all of the wonderful opportunities I do have being single.
While I was still living at home I was asked by the Young Women to participate in a New Beginnings thing where several of us pretended to be some of the merciful, wonderful women of the past: Clara Barton, Florence Nightengale, Mother Theresa. And it occurred to me that night that all of those women were single, that is why they were able to do so many wonderful things for the world. Our opportunities to improve ourselves and the world are different -- not less important or valuable in the sight of God or of man. Its just hard to find that one person in 6 billion that is perfect for you. Imagine the odds!! Its a miracle that anyone gets married at all! We just have to give it some time. Plus, if you were married...who would I hang out with?! We singles have to stick together Beth! Don't leave me!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think your swishy skirt looked lovely today. I kept thinking, "Look Back! Look back at ME!" But you were busy talking to that guy that's been in love with you for weeks. Don't worry though. I won't give up ;)

Anonymous said...

Beth!!! Did you see what that guy wrote!!! HOLY COW!!! Who is he????

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I think I have the best friends and family in the entire world. Thank you.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

And hot RM, never fear; your turn will come.

Your Name said...

What's wrong with crooked glasses and a vacant expression? *is puzzled for a brief moment then turns back to a happier place where dreams come true: a book*