Monday, May 14, 2007

What's startling is how easy it would be.

Today was our penultimate day at work. This means that tomorrow is our last day. (Or, er, we're pretty sure it's our last day, at least. We think.)

Anyway--so in recognition of said penultimateness of said day, our office supervisor brought in homemade fudge.

It's really amazing how the smell of fudge can fill a middling largeish room like that.

As I passed by said fudge frequently on my way to doing other stuff, I realized just how easy it would be to reach over and cut myself a little (or not so little) square. I thought then what a simple thing it would be to put said square into my mouth and for said mouth to curl round the fudge in delighted ecstacy for a few moments as said fudge melted in said mouth.

And I dunno--I always thought that things like breaking your diet would feel significant, that there would be considerable guilt afterwards, but also considerable hesitation and going-back-and-forthness before.

(I didn't eat the fudge, in case you were wondering.)

I guess it's like many things in life. Things that you expect to feel significant (like a penultimate day at a job you've worked for nearly three years, or the last family reunion you'll have with your sibs & parents before you head eastward) aren't always. They're just moments and minutes that tally up to the sum of our lives.

I wish I could hang onto them a little bit more, make them all a little more significant.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I thought about bringing doughnuts tomorrow, then thought of you and how the devil pasteries wouldn't be such a treat to someone who is trying to avoid such temptations - but I may do it anyway, because dagnab it - it is so close to the end, and something should be done to make it memorable - be it sinful or not!

...please forgive me in advance...

Debbie Barr said...

Hey, at least you aren't on a diet and are surrounded by doughnuts, eclairs, cookies, brownies, and cakes all day at work! It gets so bad... ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness.. i wish i knew what was going on at KMA. is it closing?
i am soo glad to hear you got an appt. in boston! that is so awsome! your dreams are funny to read! i am still preggo- we find out if boy or girl on WED. =)
hugs dear beth! another chapter of your life is about to begin! and i can't wait to see how it all goes! im so excited FOR you!!!!!!!!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Pat, I can fully and completely forgive you for the doughnuts, even though they were decadently tempting. :)

And Debs, I am daily grateful that I don't work in a bakery! :)

And Annie, so good to hear from you today! Keep me updated on your baby status! So happy for you, and thanks so much for the good wishes!