Sunday, May 27, 2007

And it wasn't even September 19th!

This morning, my dentist (who also happens to be my little sister's father-in-law--yah, I know--weird) treated all of his patients (plus up to 3 family members each) to a special showing of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Most of the adult members of the family were there, along with my most adorable nephew (who obviously preferred my company to any of his other aunties or uncles--hurrah!) and quite a lot of other patients of this Dr. Sister's Father-in-law. He (the dentist) actually dressed up in full costume with a scruffy beard, long dreadlocks and seriously ratted clothes. He and his assistants also spoke pirate talk, employing words such as "Arr," "Avast," and "Blow me timbers," even though it wasn't International Talk Like a Pirate Day yet. (Yah. Like, seriously early, people.)

Before the movie got started, said dentist and said assistants did fun things like throw out frisbees to all the audience members who wanted one (or three) and passed out raffle tickets for door prizes like oil changes and certificates to day spas. (Man. I wish I had won a trip to a day spa.)

Anyway--as said frisbee throwing got underway, things were, as you can imagine, slightly hectic. I kept turning my head to follow the frisbees, but I wasn't about to go out of my way to catch one because--hey, just one more thing to pack, y'know--so I was completely unprepared when I turned my head back to the front and a frisbee, coming in vertically, whacked me (WAY hard) right between my eyebrows.

Ohmygoodness I did not know a frisbee could raise a welt that quickly.

So.

Next Wednesday, when I arrive in Boston, I'll be able to greet my new roommates and all those nice young elders quorum members (who I'm sure will just spontaneously show up as soon as my 16 boxes arrive) for the first time with a nice big bruise/lump on my forehead.

First impressions really don't seem to go well for me. Bleh.

4 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Just smile real friendly-like and no one will notice.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

True, true. And my siblings today said they couldn't really tell the bruise was there until they read my post. So maybe I exaggerated a little.

Hurrah for applied pressure shortly after the time of injury! It kind of sort of worked a little!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Hooray!

P.S. How did you like the movie? I'm trying to decide whether to pay the exorbitant cost of a ticket to see it on the big screen.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

It's definitely impressive on the big screen. There's quite a bit of violence, though, and rather frequently the plot would take twists that would leave me feeling, "Huh?" (or that could have been the bump on my head).

HOWEVER, it's a great movie if you're in the mood for a big blowout blockbuster movie. Very big. And very blowout-ity. Basically, it's good fun. (I might wait for the dollar theatre, but that's just me. I got to see it free anyway. :))