Tuesday, August 21, 2007

In which my concept of self is put sorely to the test

I've realized something about myself, and it's a something I don't like very much.

I don't really write much.

And that stinks.

I mean, I write on my blog, I guess, and I sometimes write in my journal. I write emails, I write little notes in little little notebooks, I write grad school application essays...

But I don't write stories. I don't. And that's...

That's just not acceptable, people. And it doesn't jive with what I imagine myself to be.

I once told a good friend of mine that I felt that writing was my real calling in life, that I had stories I wanted to tell.

But since then, I've spent much more time reading than writing, or watching movies or checking blogs or filing my fingernails or eating sandwiches or doing pretty much anything but writing.

So my question to myself is this: "Self, are you ever going to get down to it? Are you ever going to seriously sit down and make yourself write every blasted day so that you will eventually become an Author? (With a capital 'A?') Will you finish those novels you have lurking in the dusty corners of your computer's hard drive? Will you?"

And my answer to myself is still pending. I just don't know if I have the perseverance.

(But I hope I do.)

4 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

We tend to make time for the things that are most important to us. Why do you think you've been doing other things instead of writing? Is it because you think it will take a huge chunk of your limited time? Or does it take effort to get into the writing mindset?

Debbie Barr said...

http://writerwatchers.blogspot.com/

You can join, if you want. It sorta works.

Pat said...

I have no advice - I have the same problem!....my paintbrushes are still in the original packaging.
*Sigh*

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Kim, I think it's mainly the effort needed to get myself writing. You have to be willing to set aside not just a moment or 15 minutes, but a good deal of time and energy, devoting it all to this project that may or may not work. I did pretty well during NaNoWriMo, but, oddly enough, I've done darn poorly when I've had much more time to devote to writing. And that's sad. And kind of inexplicable.

Debs, that's awesome. I'd love to join if I can. :)

And Pat, I can completely sympathize. I can't even tell you how many cross stitch patterns I've got, not to mention scrap supplies, sketch pads that are only half-full, pastels that have never been used, books I've purchased and never read... Erk. This is starting to get depressing! TODAY is the day for doing stuff! :)