Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Diddly doggerel doo

I love the way I sometimes just sit and write stuff as if the things I have to say are rather remarkable bits of something. When really, they're just kind of. You know. Ramblings.

But I still like sharing them:




I sit here and look up: just past the horizon made by the roof of the building towering above me, a cloud, its languid white arms reaching and reforming, moves overhead in piercing contrast to the overarching blue. To my right a lawn stretches, grass cropped low enough to look like carpeting, edges merging together in the distance as though the whole world is conspiring to give me an art lesson in perspective. The breeze intermittently brushes over my shoulders, lingering briefly to finger the very ends of my hair; I feel as though all nature is in love with me, so how could I not reciprocate?

I find myself feeling, out here in the open, on this perfect day, a kind of peace I experience only rarely. I can’t even describe it. It’s something like longing for home and something like having just finished a delicious peanut butter sandwich. It’s satiation and desire all rolled together, liberally mixed with quiet joy.

I love this world so much sometimes, this semi-temporary home for our mortal selves to grow up in. And even in this little pocket of city, both the cars going past and the bird flying overhead are part of some great whole I can only sense a part of.

But I’m grateful for the sensing. Grateful to be, myself, a part of the whole after all.

In other news, I've neglected to share the following with you:


This was from when my roommate (and a bunch of her work friends) and I went to go see A Midsummer Night's Dream for free at Boston Common. The gazebo you see ahead is not, in fact, the stage. Which...I mean, I thought it was at first, so don't feel bad or anything. Yeah. The stage is actually off the picture to the right. So. Cool. Shakespeare for free. Not a bad thing.


The above was taken just before another rommate and I went to the New England Aquarium. We both thought the sight of fog obscuring the skyscrapers (not to mention that cool building with the turret) was pretty dang awesome.

And here I am at the aquarium itself feeling uneasy about being approached by a friendly little penguin. Statue. A penguin statue. Not a real one. Alas. Because a real one made of gold would have been infinitely awesome.


And speaking of gold penguins, here's a completely unrelated picture of the subway. (I thought that archway was kind of cool.)


Here's a view from the back of the New England Aquarium (I love the grove of masts here):


And finally, here's a shot of the Fenway area. In the area to the right, past the road and where you can see lots of trees, there's a narrow park that runs alongside a stream. I love that there's this touch of green right in the middle of all these colleges. They call it (and connected parks) The Emerald Necklace. And it really is that lovely.


So, until next time. As it were. You know. And all that. You guys are cool.

The end.

4 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I love your expression in the penguin picture. :-/

Your Name said...

wow. As the french would say: "C'est Magnifique!" Everything looks so lovely and green, and I love the name the Emerald Necklace. It sounds so...shiney.

Scrapworthy said...

Hey Beth - great post as usual! I've nominated you as a "Rockin' Girl Blogger" - come visit me to see!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Cool! Thanks, Pat! I'm honored. :)