Monday, April 30, 2007

Approximations



I decided today that it's about time for a new profile picture, so I came up with the above highly accurate drawing of myself. For those of you who have never seen me, let me tell you, it is indeed higly accurate. Very. Especially the fact that I have glasses. And also those lips are exactly like mine. Ahem.

Not really.

For instance, I'm not very good about tilting my head like that. Even when a photographer cajoles me to do so, I'm reluctant or simply unable. No head-tilting for me. Also, the highlights/shadowing are all weird and off. My hair looks funky and my eyes are decidedly too peaceful looking. And that mouth? Mine is never that serene.

But it's an approximation.

Several weeks ago, I was in a museum with a dear friend who, as we studied great works of art, had numerous insights into the paintings and sculptures we saw. I could only make an occasional (vaguely) humorous quip, hoping to cover my ignorance with witty remarks that really weren't all that witty.

I felt myself lacking, in short. I felt that this friend possessed an intelligence I did not have and I felt humbled by it.

It was only today though that I was able to put my finger on what was missing.

You see, I draw, but I'm not an artist. I don't have an artist's insight into paintings; I don't have a feel for composition and symbolism and sheer artistic power. I can (sometimes) recreate (inaccurately) things I see, but I'm not capable (at least as I am now) of creating a Work of Art.

I realized there are other things in my life that are the same: I sing, but I'm not a musician; I write, but I'm not an author.

I could see suddenly that most of the things in my life that I'm proud of are mere approximations of what they could be, of what I want them to be, or even what I thought they were.

And yet, while feeling suddenly inadequate (this friend, for instance, is pretty much all of the things I wish I were) I've come to realize (just since beginning to write this post) that approximations are what we really are in this life. We are approximations of the beings we will one day be, all approximations of our Father. We live in a state of potentiality, ever striving to become, but never quite moving past our mortal limitiations.

But that's the way we're designed; we aren't meant to reach our full potential here. And maybe, as I move past my mortal boundaries, I'll meld my approximations with reality and finally become what it is I want to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW- Im reminded AGAIN- how smart and intense you ARE!
question: who DO you want to be?
did it occur to you that you are possibly already THAT person?
or- that if you WERE the "final" you- Our heavenly father wouldn't have anything else to teach/show you? how sad for me...
i love you for who you are- and when i think of you-talk to you- read of you- i see you as a COMPLETE beth. not a "partial in the making-beth."
and you are deffinatly smarter and more knowledgeable than this chic!! lolol
have more faith in who are! your exactly who you are SUPPOSED to be right now.. =)) love ya!
(my pregnancy hormones are raging tonight... )

Joanna said...

I think sometimes we reach adulthood and are disappointed when we aren't immediately the person we envisioned ourselves to be through childhood. I think also that we view the developing of talents as an activity for youth, but we have our entire lives to develop our talents.

As for your artistic skills, I think you are amazing. My mother-in-law also loves art and she has spent years taking classes and lessons from locals and visiting artists and is now going back to college and taking art classes. So it's never too late! Never feel like the work is done!