Friday, April 20, 2007

There's absolutely no luck in four-leaf clovers.

Perhaps you are now (as I once was) a believer in the power of the four-leaf clover. Let me fill you in on a few things.

Four-leaf clovers don't do much, if anything. What they do do (haha! doodoo!) is sit around looking green and sort of pretty. Which is not insignificant, I might add.

But they're not lucky.

No, not one bit.

I found a four-leaf clover once and I was ecstatic. I carefully put it in a plastic bag and carried it around with me for luck. I even took it to our high school football game, in the hopes that the extra boost from that bit of green sitting in my pocket would do some small good.

We lost.

I was confused; I had always been led to believe that four-leaf clovers grant luck to the holder. I, as a student at my high school, had some interest in the outcome of that football game. And yet the other team still creamed us. Violently.

Also, the entire time I had the four-leaf clover with me, I did not get any kisses from boys.

NOT EVEN ONE.

As I thought about the four-leaf clover's pitiful performance, I began to realize that all I had been taught about them just wasn't true. There was no luck in four-leaf clovers. None whatsoever.

So I took the tattered green little remnants from my pocket and tossed them in the nearest garbage can.

Now when I find a four-leaf clover occupying its little space on the ground, I just let it be. It's happier; it feels connected to its mother plant and continues to get all the water and...nutrients and such...it needs (until it inevitably withers in the dry Utah climate).

And I'm not laboring under a mistaken idea that luck is following me everywhere (rather like that black labrador that followed me around while I was walking this morning).

Thankagoodness.

4 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

If anyone tries to convince you that a rabbit's foot is lucky, you might point out that it obviously didn't help the rabbit much.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

To my chagrin, I used to have a rabbit's foot when I was in grade school. (The chagrin comes because of the foot's color. I believe it was chartreuse. Also guilt about the rabbit, of course.)

Debbie Barr said...

I once found a five leaf clover. Now THAT was lucky.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Are you sure it wasn't like an anti-luck device? Over the top? That sort of thing? Or maybe the anti-luck item would be a two-leaf clover. One just under normal.