Friday, April 06, 2007

Cough Drops: an Unexpected Ambrosia

So, I've only recently (i.e. within the past two days) finally weaned myself off of cough drops. Who knew those little lozenges could be so addictive?

It all started when I got sick. Then, I got a cough that followed said sickness which produced a state of affairs in my throat and lungs that prevented me from talking or singing or breathing longer than roughly 30 seconds without breaking into chest-cracking convulsory coughing fits.

Not fun stuff.

So, to prevent said coughing fits I began sucking upon large quantities of cough drops (sugar-free, of course). Within only a few days, I was a cough drop junkie. It was all I could do not to raid my parents' cash drawer in search of the funds to feed my habit.

I went one day last week without cough drops at all and managed to startle numerous people who would have spent an otherwise pleasantly sedate day staring at paintings and discussing brushstrokes with their erudite companions.

However, my lungs appear to be pretty much back to normal, and while my throat still feels rather dry, I think this is mainly due to my transition from Illinois humidity back to Utah lack-thereof.

So cough drops are dropped. Not quite cold turkey, but it's pretty close.

(There are times though when I still dream of that eucalyptus-laced goodness. Mmmm.)

2 comments:

Pat said...

Yikes - is there a cough drop patch or something to help you kick that habit?....I mean we wouldn't want to find you prostrate in the alley strung out on cherry flavored Luden's!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hehehe! Oooh, I can just picture myself leaning against a dark alley wall, surrounded by cough-drop wrappers in a kind of half-daze. :^D

(And someone really ought to come out with a patch. Seriously!)