Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lizardbreath in flight

Because I am a blogger junkie, I wrote a few posts out by hand while on my recent trip. The first I wrote on the flight out to Chicago, during which I waxed exuberant about airplanes. I really don't know why. But here you go:

Airplanes are cool.

I wonder why we don't all go around talking about airplanes all the time.

I mean think about it--they're awesome!

You take this enormous tube of metal, add a couple of wings and some engines and suddenly the thing is airborne!

Extraordinary!

In all seriousness though, I love it all: the thrilling rush of takeoff, the moving up through and above clouds into the blue-black sky, the sea of white beneath you through which, sporadically, you see glimpses of the mysterious shape of the land beneath, then the stomach-dropping descent below cloudbanks and back onto the ground where, for a moment or a day or for the rest of your life, you see things just a little differently.

It makes me want to wax poetic, if only I could.

Greater minds than mine should write poetry about flying.

6 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I particularly enjoy that "rush of take-off" part. And I always hope my flight dates will fall on overcast days. It's amazing to rise out of the grayness into sunlight, and see the mountains floating like islands in a fluffy, white sea.

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

I agree! Airplanes rock! I love taking off, that's so cool, and there's something about being high up in the air and on the way to someplace new that it just magical! The one drawback that I've found is that I can't sleep on them, but who sleeps when you could watch a movie or read!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Kim, on my trip to Chicago we spent most of the time flying over overcast skies. At one point during the flight, I glanced out the window just in time to see another plane rush past, leaving a trough in the cloud cover behind it. It was pretty darn awesome.

And Jekka, I totally agree. I actually can't sleep in planes either; I get mesmerized by the view out the window, even if I can see only white cloud. (And also sitting thigh to thigh with a perfect stranger makes me feel just a wee bit too uncomfortable to sleep.)

Scrapworthy said...

I can't poeticalize it either, but youbetcha - it's cool!
When I was a munchkin climbing trees, I always wondered what it would be like to be above the clouds...and it is darn awesome!
A couple of years ago, I went on a trip with my sister, and we flew out really early in the morning - there was a total cloud cover beneath us, and as the sun came up it was all pink and lavendar and sparkly - like fairy princess style sand dunes!
Simply breathtaking!
...however flying over Columbia in the middle of the night was a different sensation altogether!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wow! That sounds like THE most excellent sunrise ever produced. Gorgeous!

I haven't flown much at night, but when I have pretty much the only interesting thing is seeing how city lights create patterns in the dark beneath you. Yeah. That's pretty cool.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Like a giantess dropped her jewelry box . . .