Tuesday, December 04, 2007

So, while we're on the subject of controversial topics...

Today in library school we talked a lot about intellectual freedom.

Which, basically says that censorship is never a good thing. And also that, as librarians, we should not restrict anyone's access to any information, whatever we happen to feel about that information personally.

I find this topic very interesting, and the discussion in class was wonderfully enlightening and very stimulating.

However.

That is not the topic I'm going to address in this blog post. (Although, I suppose you could argue I've already addressed it.)

The topic I'd like to discuss is much more controversial and much deeper and much more important and stuff. It is this:

Why do I feel I am a woman who can not pull off pink? Or even that I am a woman who does not want to be able to pull off pink? Who would, if she could, pull off pretty much any other color including dark browns and olive greens and rusty reds along with pale blues and teals and bright dandelion yellows, but who is unfortunately unable to do so due to her being an 'autumn' and thus not really looking all that hot in blue-toned stuff. Apparently. (As if she looks hot in 'autumnal' colors, but whatever.)

But seriously--what do I have against pink? I mean, pink is fine.

I sometimes think of it as a bit frou-frou, a little too much a blond feminine cutesy sort of girly girly thing, but then, I'm a female. I'm a girl. Why should I object to girls being, well, especially girlish?

I guess I've never really been into the whole girly thing, even when I was a kid. You see, as children, my siblings and I loved play-acting, and because we had no brothers (then) the four oldest siblings (all girls) would play together and I would usually play the boys. Because they got to do the cool things like rescue people and swing swords and go dashing over hillocks and stuff. (Lucky boys. With their lucky hillocks.)

I rather scorned the girl toys. While I still played with dolls, I preferred the toy monsters our next-door neighbor (a boy) got to play with, or the He-Man action figure said neighbor also posessed, or the cool transformer toys and...the toy my cousin had: some big machine type thing made up of little cat machine type things that all fit together...something. Anyway--that was cool too.

And not pink.

Or. Well, I think maybe one of the cat machine things was pink because it was operated by a female character, but STILL. That's my POINT. Right?

Or maybe it's not. Because if this female character was hooking up in her little pink machine with all the other machines to form one big machine (part of which, necessarily, was pink) then that shows that pink, and thus a pink-loving female, has power, even if it's a power that's part of a larger male-dominated entity.

Yep.

So, the reason why I'm even writing about this is that I have a pink coat. It was left by the gal who lived in my room before I moved in. And it's a very nice coat. It's warm, and it fits pretty much perfectly (which--hey--a FREE coat that fits PERFECTLY is not anything to shake a stick-sword at) and it's pretty much winter here in Boston now, with its icy sidewalks and its skin-slicing winds. Aaaaand...

The coat is pink. It is pink. It is pink it is pink and...wearing it...I just feel like a pink girl. And I've never really been a pink girl. So...

I just need to wrap my mind around it. And appreciate the pinkness. And find joy and power in being pink-coat-wearing-girl.

That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Right?

P.S. I also read banned books. And they rock.

6 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

When I was little, I liked pink because it was girly. Then a few years later, I detested pink because it was girly. I guess I didn't want to be pigeonholed.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I dress my baby daughter in pink all the time (partly so strangers will stop mistaking her for a boy), but I still can't bring myself to wear it very much. That's partly because I think pink makes a statement I'm not entirely comfortable with, and partly because pastels in general just don't do much for me.

Lindsay said...

A part of me wants to avoid pink simply because it heightens my blond-pale-ish-red complexion in a not so flattering way. But then again, another part of me wants to embrace pink because in the right light I look I like just came inside after winning an exhilarating snowball fight. It's a toss-up. But hey, free coat? Definitely embrace the pink, if only for the free coat's sake!!

Debbie Barr said...

I've never been big into pink. Red, yes. Peachy colored-ness shirt I stole from you, yes. But pink really isn't for me.

It's what we get for playing with the boys. (Remember how I'm the only girl in the family stuck between the two boys? Yeah. It did stuff to me.(

Anyway, a free coat is still a free coat in cold Boston, and I'd wear it if I were you, and you so look hot in autumnal colors.

Mama M said...

I am afraid that I must claim some responsibility here. Long ago, when I was the mother of four little girls in six years, I decided that an easy solution to constant bickering (over choices of things like Tupperware cups, spiral notebooks, and toothbrushes) was to assign each little girl a color. Yes, Beth dear, you were, with no say in the matter, assigned the color blue. Mary was red or pink, Becky was yellow, and Jo was green. And somehow,in some mysterious way, the indoctrination at that tender age imprinted on all four of you.

Motherhood is a forceful power for good and evil in the universe. I fear I have only come to fully appreciate this as I have become an old mother. Forgive me for any misuse of my superpowers. I really was just trying to do my best!

(And go ahead and wear the pink coat. Mary won't mind!)

Papa said...

So what does this all say about your father receiving a PINK T-shirt for Father's Day, huh? "Dad--Tough Enough to wear PINK" Except he isn't. Not yet. Well, OK, a pink tie, maybe. Um, I could use a winter coat. Do you happen to have an extra one you'd like to give me? ;-)

Joanna said...

I totally used to feel the same way about pink. Whenenver I went clothes shopping, I only bought blue stuff, and then I noticed that I ONLY had blue stuff. So one day I forced myself to buy a pink shirt. And nothing bad happened!

Except now, I am sometimes more drawn to the pink clothes than the blue, and I now own five pink shirts. Right now I'm wearing a shirt with pink in it. But most of the pink is being covered up by my blue sweater. :)

It's hard to cover up a pink coat with another color that you feel more comfortable in, though... 'cause it's a COAT.