Thursday, December 06, 2007

If you don't like gross things then DON'T READ THIS POST!

Okay. Consider yourself warned.

I want to talk about how blasted amazing and rather awe-inspiring our bodies are, specifically the ability our bodies have to produce mucus.

Yes, mucus.

They sure can crank the stuff out!

I mean, you can blow your nose (emptying it, or so you would suppose) and within (I am not making this up) 60 seconds you can have a good ol' schnoz-full to blow into your already sodden and leaking tissue. (I TOLD you not to read this if you don't like gross things. You only have yourself to blame, you know.)

But I didn't really appreciate until this evening how blasted cool mucus can be. Did you know that mucus lubricates your digestive tract? And that it is antiseptic? And contains immunogoblins? (You can learn all this and more by reading Wikipedia's mucus entry.)

Makes you feel all respectful and stuff, doesn't it?

Yep. Mucus works hard. And our bodies work hard making it.

So really, the fact that I took a good chunk of yet another day off to finish up the second season of The Office doesn't mean I was being lazy, right? I was just giving my body a chance to rest up and keep churning out copious amounts of lovely, viscous, germ-trapping goo.

Go me.

7 comments:

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

*falls to the floor laughing histerically*

You know your a writer when you notice things like this.

Debbie Barr said...

*gag*

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Blechhhh.

Anonymous said...

"immunogoblins?"

Sounds spooky like Halloween...I am thinking immunoglobins perhaps? Not a med student, just interested.

Mama M said...

I raised you better than this

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ohmygrief.

Anonymous, I am an idiot. Officially.

Papa said...

I like "immunogoblins" better. It seems much more descriptive... :-)