Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wherein I express my angst

I'm feeling crabby today.

That said, I feel I should apologize in advance for what may become a ranty post. Because even crabby people can have manners, dang it. So. Sorry.

I'm not sure where this general feeling of irritability is coming from. Perhaps it's from the realization that the world simply does not provide enough quarters for me to do my laundry effectively and cheaply.

Or maybe it derives its origin from the stubborn resistance my computer has developed towards online videos. This prevents me from watching the new version of Persuasion multiple times per day. Which is probably good for me. And makes me cranky.

It could be that it comes from my body's apparent decision to sweat freely in 70 degree weather, simply because I'm walking briskly and there happens to be about 80% humidity and my pores, used to 80 degrees with 15% humidity, have decided to protest the whole thing by working way too much and thereby causing me to develop A Smell.

Then again, it might stem from my inability to really get out and do much to get a job, despite my knowledge of my too-rapidly dwindling savings and my imminent diving into thousands and thousands of dollars in debt, simply because I don't feel quite up to it, thank you. And also the thought of interviewing somewhere gives me the jibblies.

But what's worst of all, what really takes the cake, is that I cannot appease these sensations by diving into an enormous bowl of mint and chip ice cream.

And that, my dears, simply makes me want to turn my head to the wall and weep.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that mint n chip diving WOULD solve the sweating problem. Those irritating chocolate stains would probably just make things worse...try a different sugarfree flavor.
You could probably get that minty-fresh smell from good ole toothpaste diving without the chocolate complication!
Here's a long-distance hug. Don't waste too much angst on self-denigration about procrastination. Here's a Corrie ten Boom paraphrase "Worrying doesn't solve tomorrow's problems--it just steals today's energy." Procrastination's like that too. Remember, the last (big) thing you procrastinated relative to Boston was your application essay, and look how well that turned out!

Crazy side note--my eldest child (who vehemently declares that he's a mountain squirrel and contradicts any attempts to call him by name with protestations about not being a boy) will be three years old next Monday. Seems like yesterday that he was a very new baby snuggled in "Auntie Beth's" arms (I was going to show a picture but that one seems to have disappeared. I better talk to Ed about it.)

Debbie Barr said...

*pats you on the back*

I know how you feel.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Cathy, you have wonderful advice. I think I need to think less about procrastination and instead just do more. Or at least be happier with doing less. :) And. Holy. Moly. Mo will be three. (And I love that he refuses to be anything but a mountain squirrel.) It does seem like yesterday I was watching him all night. He was so tiny and now he's a busy-tailed small mammal. Sigh. How time flies.

Thank you, Debs.

Lindsay said...

Oooh, angst. I had angst yesterday, too. And I relieved it by totally melting down in hot, sweaty tears in front of my husband, who, bless his heart, somehow managed to say all the right things to make me feel better. I guess sometimes you just need a good puffy-eye-inducing cry to make you feel better about life. Oh, and someone who will listen to you. That always helps. So go ahead and cry. And we're here to listen. :)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Lindsay, thanks. :) It's always good to know there are people here to listen. And while my angst did not (at that time) produce hot, sweaty tears, there have been plenty of times when it has, so I can sympathize. :)

And also, on my previous comment, I meant 'bushy-tailed,' not 'busy-tailed.' Although I guess mountain squirrels have tails that are both bushy and busy.

Pat said...

I've never heard anyone rant quite so politely - so sorry for your angst, perhaps you're just a little homesick...but tears are ever so much more cleansing than a dive into a tub of ice cream. Congrats on your resistance! (or is it resistence - oh bleah!)

...and by the way - yay! I made it to your list of addictions! :)