Monday, June 04, 2007

Rain and the aphrodisiac properties thereof:

Okay. So I don't really know all that much about aphrodisiacs, nor am I really sure that rain would qualify as one. (Frankly, feeling like a wet rat who also happens to be wearing muddy shoes does not generally put me in that kind of mood.)

However.

I think it may have enhanced my experience at the local library today.

My roommate told me that our local library is actully just a short way off the route I take to the nearest grocery store. So, after the torrenting rain had mainly given up, leaving just this all-pervasive misty stuff, I decided to stop by on my way to procure food and laundry detergent.

The library is a wonderfully largeish building with a nice, open entrance area and huge comfortable-looking reading chairs. (I didn't actually try any out, as per my muddy shoes, but the appearance of said chairs was indeed enticing.)

Naturally, I had to find the juvenile collection, so I stared bewilderedly at a map for awhile until a kind lady at the information desk told me I looked confused and asked if she could help. I sheepishly explained that I was looking for the childrens' books and she helpfully pointed me downstairs where I walked straight dab into them. (Hurrah for helpful ladies behind library desks! How I hope to be one someday...)

Anyway.

So, I meandered into the Young Adult fiction section, where I checked name after name of some of my favorite authors. Looking over the shelves and pulling out a book now and then, I realized that I first met many of the books I love in settings such as this. I've pored over scores of volumes with laminated dust jackets and dewey decimal numbers printed in labels on the spine. I've stayed up late at night with already-tattered books that didn't belong to me, but ones I loved nevertheless.

I paced around for awhile, found the slightly younger section, looked around there, and at last went back out into the misty afternoon.

And I now know two very important things:

First, I have arrived. Having found the local library I now feel like I'm finally here. Once I'm able to procure myself a library card, I'll feel even more like I'm finally here.

Second, I want to read everything. (Well, I think I may skip the Goosebumps series, actually...) I could spend years and years of my life doing nothing but checking out five or so books at a time and devouring them cozied up in my comforter, sipping (sugar-free) hot chocolate. (And the rain just makes me feel more like doing that.)

I'm not going to have time, though. That's what makes me sad. There's all these books I own that I need to actually read. Then, there will be numerous textbooks and papers to write and information to study and once I've graduated there will be books I'll need to read to stay on top of the literature coming out, meetings to attend, people to assist.

But, my hope is that working in a library will afford me chances to sneak a book here and there for a little light pleasure-reading. Because really, isn't that what this all is about? And that, I've realized, will be lovely whether I have muddy shoes or not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh- YEA! you are there- safe-
CUTE appt! ADORABLE pics of you! you are so precious! im jelous of bookshelves! cute comforter- very powerful choice! im glad you are getting your things and that you like your place! gosh i am soo happy for you!!!
im glad you finally feel "here", there. I bet you will enjoy that library.
dance till your feet fall off. cause 10 years from now- you will wish you had! old men, young men, 5 year olds, let them twirl you. it is like the "LOVE" life gives us when we are sometimes lonely! thrilling, energizing, crazy! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE- dance dance dance.
oh im so happy for you-
xoxoxoxo- annie

Anonymous said...

My dear, I hope that when you often go walking, in meadows of clover or in the misty moisty morning, that you always remember: "I learned how to love them, dear Mother, from you." And if I did not manage to teach you to be sensible and to come in out of the rain, I am glad that I at least taught you how to wax poetic about being soaked. Please, please, please, keep your feet dry. (You knew I would have to add some kind of advice.) Missing you more than you can possibly imagine.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Thanks, Annie! That's good advice. And I'm definitely glad to be here and to be getting used to everything. :)

And Mom, of course I learned it all from you. :) (And I wore a nice, clean pair of socks every time I ventured forth. So no worries. ;))

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Ditto on the wanting to read everything (and on the Goosebumps exception--yick).