Friday, June 29, 2007

Here's a bit of something:

Two things today, but I think I'll consolidate them down into one post. Firstly, I've realized that I haven't included any pictures of the subway. So I thought I would, especially for all of you folks in places where an effective mass transit system is only a vague sort of filmy dream. Like unicorns. I say this without scorn, because up until about a month ago I was mass-transit-deficient myself. So I still think the fact that I get to ride around on the subway daily is pretty dang cool. Yeah.

So in the spirit of sharing the coolness that is the MBTA, here's a picture of the station where I got on today to come back to my apartment. This is what it looks like before the train came in:


And here's what it looked like when the train arrived:


You can't really get a sense of it in the picture, but the Red Line trains are wonderfully long. And sleek. And pretty shiny too. Cool, eh?

And just because I know you wanted to see me with my back against a tiled wall down in the subway, here's...er...a picture of that:


Secondly, I wrote summat today in a little notebook I had with me at the time. Which was really serendipitous because otherwise I would have felt like I had wasted my time going up to Cambridge this afternoon. But this way I got to record a little moment of a nice day. So here you go:

I take a step out the doors of the Cambridge Public Library and the smell of honeysuckle just brushes me, like the memory of a dream upon waking.

Today has necessarily been a bit of a waste; I didn't get to the Cambridge City Hall before it closed (early at noon--curses) to turn in a resume for a job I'd like.

But I find that it's nice to sit here, little notebook in hand, under the shade of a tree, penning my thoughts down in blue ink, while honeysuckle somewhere still pours its fragrance on the air.


I hope your days have been as lovely!

2 comments:

Papa said...

Check out this link:

http://www.mit.edu/~jdreed/t/charlie.html#Route

I think I sang you the tune and a few of the words, as much as I remembered of them, before you left to actually ride the MBTA yourself. Glad you enjoy it, but make sure you always have an extra nickel with you.... :-)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hahaha! That's why they call your fare card a Charlie Card. Awesome! I'll be sure to keep that extra nickel handy always. :)