Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Handywoman McGee

I got a present delivered to me today.

It was a present I bought for myself!

And (lucky for me) I didn't even have to haul it upstairs. These rather buff delivery guys did it for me, which is a really good thing because I had trouble hauling the boxes in even from the hallway to my room. Yeesh.

Anyway.

After getting said presents to my room, I proceeded to assemble them. (This is where the 'handywoman' aspect comes in.) See here:


This job required instructions. And a hammer. And a screwdriver. Yah. How handy am I? (It was also lucky that my nice roommate had a hammer & screwdriver to lend to me because otherwise I would have had to march off to the store & purchase one of each, adding even more to the total cost of this merchandise.)

So, after much muttering and hitting my thumb (only once, thankyouverymuch) I managed to assemble my nice, tall bookshelf:


Of course, I actually ordered three bookshelves. And actually, I ordered three that had kind of an oak finish. They sent me two oak and one white. But frankly, I was so eager to have bookshelves (and the white didn't look all that bad) and felt so bad about the possibility of making those guys come back and carry the set of white shelves down only to come back up in a day or two with a set of oak shelves (phew!) I decided to just let it go. I hope...I hope that's ethical. Um.

Right. So, here are the two oak shelves:


And, just so yous can gaze at more pictures, I've decided to show you what they look like now that I've filled them with all my scads of books. (Aren't you just thrilled down to your socks?)


And the twain which are oaken:


And that is it. Frankly, I feel like I've been a busy little handywoman today. I even wore a kerchief all day because, while I like my haircut, it isn't necessarily conducive to pulling back in a convenient little ponytail.

But that doesn't matter.

What matters is that I weilded tools like a pro. I pounded nails; I twisted screw-type things. I...(lemme think here)...I put shelves on stuff.

Yay me! And tomorrow, who knows what wonders I will accomplish?

8 comments:

Christian said...

Looks great! Makes me wish I had more shelf space for books. And I'm so happy to see the Jolly Roger overhead. Makes me want to make friends walk the plank and talk of ships we sank...

Anonymous said...

And to think that I wasn't even there to do it for you. My little girl is all grown up and assembling bookshelves! Congrats on a job well done.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a clear sign that you are meant to be in a library, considering you could fill up 3 bookshelves in such a timely manner. I think it would take me YEARS to acquire that many books to fill that many shelves.

Hmm. Maybe I was adopted...

Anonymous said...

What I meant to say is that you were meant to be a librarian! :0)

Oh, and by the way, yes, we have the internet! Hoorah for technology!

Lindsay said...

Very nice! By the way, may I ask where you ordered your shelves from? We currently live in an apartment with a few built-in bookshelves for our many, many (many) books, but I imagine that when we move (potentially in the very near future), we won't have that luxury again. But our books will still need a nice home. Do you like yours enough to recommend them?

Pat said...

Beautifully done!...I think I'm feeling more sorry for the person who hauled all those books up the stairs than the shelf guy....

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hoh, my. Laughed so hard. Yes, Christian. All I need now is a carnivorous parrot and I'll be set!

Thanks, Pops. I could never have done it all without watching you do similar things 100 times over. :)

And Reba! Yous gots internets! :D And really, it has taken me years & years to accumulate all these books. I just have this terrible habit of buying more. :) (And, although you are the only one of us who seems to be able to wear hats & look good while doing so, I don't think you're adopted. :))

Lindsay, I actually got these shelves online from Staples. The nice thing is that, although they cost a bit more than other options (they were $50 each) Staples has free shipping for orders over $50, which was pretty nice. They're also good & sturdy and fairly easy to assemble. (By the time I was on my third one I didn't even need to look at the instructions! :))

And Pat, you have a good point. Hauling those books was a killer. A killer, I tell you. Good grief. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Ah yes . . . the carniverous parrot. Just remember, no success in piracy can compensate for failure in the home. Arr.