Saturday, June 09, 2007

A high tolerance for repetition

I've realized over the past...well, goodness. It's been almost exactly nine months, hasn't it? Anyway. I've realized over the past nine months or so that I have an extremely high tolerance for repetition in meals.

Allow me to explain.

Every morning for roughly the past nine months (although not quite that long--it took me a while to develop the meal) I have been eating the same thing for breakfast. With very little exception, (perhaps once a month or so), I eat an omelete made of eggs (obviously, people) beaten together with a generous helping of salsa (preferably fresh or very chunky--essentially just a convenient way to get tomatoes, onions and peppers all together at once). I have, until recently when I actually had to start paying for my own food, been adding cheese and Canadian bacon to said meal but I found that my finances (as well as limited fridge space) no longer accomodate such luxuries.

However, I have, since coming to Boston, found myself eating essentially the same thing at every meal, not just breakfast. And I really haven't minded all that much.

This has led me to conclude a couple of things about myself.

1. I am boring. Seriously, people. You cannot eat the same thing every day (and not minding it) without starting to get the lingering suspicion that you're just not that interesting an individual.

2. I am easy to please. I tend to like things and then continue liking them for a long time. I like spaghetti. I have liked it since I was in diapers (ask me about the spaghetti story sometime) and I still like it now and I especially like it when I make up this particular sauce and eat it with whole wheat noodles. I also like simple, cheap foods. I don't care what's in the hot dog or that it's a generic brand. I'm actually pretty much okay with eating most anything. Except seafood. So far.

3. I am a girl of routines. I think this is actually a product of my desire for efficiency rather than anything else. I love things to take as little effort as possible, so I arrange my life in order to accomodate this. If it means eating an omelete every morning because I know I can make it quickly and I know exactly which utensils I'll need and which ingredients and how long it will take, well, then I'll make an omelete instead of, say, a fruit salad with crepes, even if a fruit salad with crepes sounds a lot more interesting. And, like, delicious. (Man. That does sound good.)

Of course, all of this does not entirely preclude experimentation or variation; it just means that such things happen rarely and only when I have lots of energy and time. (And really, let's be honest, folks. Once you're past about eight years old those two things almost never come together.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some spaghetti noodles to boil.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are definately not boring. A boring person wouldn't have a blog that has had like a billion visitors!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

It's nice to know there's at least one other fan of whole grain noodles in the world, besides myself. I'm a fiber junkie, so once I discovered that they taste exactly like normal noodles and are just as easy to prepare, I became a grain noodle convert. Sounds like some funky cult, doesn't it?

Pat said...

Hmmm - it's a good thing that you're ok with the usual stuff, because if you don't like seafood - you're in the wrong town girlie!...Just TRY finding a taco time back there! LOL!
(and I want to hear that spaghetti story now!)

Anonymous said...

Actually, Pat, Elizabeth was much too young at the time to actually remember the spaghetti story; she only "remembers" it because we have photographic evidence of how much she relished her spaghetti. The picture shows her sitting in her high chair covered literally from the top of her head to the soles of her feet with spaghetti and sauce (mostly the sauce, actually). If the photos weren't all packed away for our eventual move, I'd go looking right now to find it, scan it, and post it somehow. It's a charming picture, actually, because she is not only covered with her dinner, but very obviously enjoying the whole experience. She apparently was too young to have yet figured out the difference between eating and bathing!

Pat said...

LOL! Too funny! that's - love how little ones try to eat through osmosis!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Haha! Oh, if only I did have a billion hits; then they would talk about me on, like, the world news and it would probably be pretty easy to get a job. I'd just say, "I was that girl on the world news!" And they'd say, "You're hired!" (But thanks for thinking I'm not boring. :))

Kim, I am so glad you like whole grain noodles. I actually think they have a heartier taste and texture than plain ol' white ones. And, well, being a member of the whole grain noodle cult will, I believe, be good for my health in the long run.

Pat, I know. I'm feeling so nervous about the first time I really take on serious seafood out here. I'll be sitting innocently at dinner and someone will bring out an enormous lobster and will expect me to just enjoy munching into that crustacean... *Shudder* But maybe I'll learn to like the taste. If I can get over my non-seafood mindset.

And Dad, thank you for telling the spaghetti story. And seriously--if you can find a picture & scan it, send me a copy. I'd love to hang it on my wall, or something, as a memento. (And I still think I'm working on the difference between eating and showering. Good. Gracious. I keep dropping things on meself.)