Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mama said there'd be days like this.

Okay. So, yesterday was really pretty awful.

Well, okay. It was really just the morning that was awful. I mean really awful. Well, I guess not as awful as falling from a truck that's going 70mph just after the love of your life tells you he's in love with your best friend, and they're going to run away to Reno, (who the heck would run away to Reno?!?), so you bounce along on the abrasive pavement for awhile and then come to a stop. And then a bee stings you.

It wasn't that awful.

But it was pretty bad.

On Monday, I got a call from someone at one of the local libraries who wanted to set up an interview with me. You see, I had applied for the "Flexible Assistant Librarian" position (which basically means that you have to be able to answer any question that anyone throws out to you, because hey--you're flexible, and also, you need to be able to work odd hours, like from 3am to 6:30am, and that daunting 4pm to midnight shift). So, I started thinking to myself, "Oh, cool! I want to work in a library again. And look! There's an opening! In the library!" So, I applied.

Anyway... So I got that call Monday, and I scheduled an interview for Tuesday morning. I made sure to get enough sleep the night before, so I woke up all bright-tailed and bushy-eyed, (which was probably the beginning of my troubles), and actually felt pretty confident that I was going to waltz right in & knock their socks off. (I think librarians wear socks. Gosh. Maybe that was my first mistake.) Come to think of it, maybe librarians don't waltz either. That little jig I did probably didn't help matters at all then.

The interviewers were very kind & very professional, and despite that, the moment I sat down at the large conference table they were using as an interviewing desk, I was suddenly so nervous that I could hardly remember how to say "Hello" and "um." (No, actually I remembered how to say "um" very well. Rather too well, in fact.)

Well, before the interview, they had all the applicants fill out what amounted to a mini quiz in world culture & history, to see where we had strong areas of expertise. Ugh. I had forgotten how much I hated feeling like I didn't know what I was doing, especially since it had been two years (if not more) since I'd even thought about world culture & history, let alone tried to prove to someone that I knew anything whatsoever about it.

So, during the interview, my brain decided that it was definitely time to go to sleep. I mean, of course it would want to go to sleep. It was a completely comfortable environment, except for the small, niggling feeling that I was undergoing a microscopic examination at the wrong end of the microscope. So, while my brain proceeded to shut down, I forgot everything about anything I had ever done, except stupid and odd anecdotes, like helping a patron find a book titled "Everyone Poops," which anecdote I positively giggled over like an overdosed cheerleader. (And yes, I did just link you to Amazon. And no, I'm not being paid for it. Viva big online bookstores.)

The interview proceeded to go from bad to worse (a hackneyed phrase, yet well applied, I think) as I began to start sentences, change my mind halfway through about what I wanted to say, then forget entirely where I was going with the sentence. Ugh. I felt unbelievably stupid, and of course, the longer the interview went, the stupider I became.

Finally, the ordeal ended, and I've done nothing much since besides rehash the experience, and perform a few hundred mental self-flagellations for good measure.

I just haven't felt that stupid for a long time. And now, I don't think I ever want to set foot in that library again! It's not that the interviewers were unkind--as I said, they were very nice. But, reliving that in context is not exactly high on my priority list. In fact, what am I doing??? Do I really want to be a librarian? I'll feel that stupid all the time!!! I have to rethink my life. And that always makes me irritable. And a little taciturn. (Um. See my previous post. Not this one.)

But you understand why, don't you??? I hate to admit this, but I really am rethinking things with my life plans. I've actually been doing some design work for another scrapbook company (and don't worry--it's totally on the up & up), basically drawing doodles, and purchasing nifty gizmos like drawing tablets & whatnot. And I actually enjoy it. A lot. I mean, I stayed up until about 5am one night (morning?) trying to finish stuff for this company, and then had to go to work at my daytime job after only 2 hours of sleep, but I feel like I'm finally using one of my talents in a way that will enable lots of people to see what I do, and enjoy it. (Even if they do use it for scrapbooking.)

I don't know. And I guess that's what's driving me the most nuts. I like to know where I'm going (even if it takes me forever to get there). So this sudden uncertainty has hit, and I'm just a little bit lost.

And rambling--HOLY COW! How long is this post, anyway?

Sorry friends, I'll stop now. Thanks for reading this, and for caring enough to...erm...care. Yeah. Y'all are great.

And no, I'm NOT DEPRESSED. Just a little confused. As always.

10 comments:

Christian said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the interview didn't go so great. Well, Beth, I for one think that you are one sharp cookie (holy mouth lacerations, Batman!) and that you're going to be successful no matter what job you have. Closed door = open window. Disappointment can actually be a good opportunity to look for those open windows. You can do it, Beth!!!

Oh, and I have to say, I like the drawing. It is somehow both sunshiney and bleak.

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I think you'd do well and be happy whether you choose to be a librarian or an artist. Look at it as having two good options, and you get to choose whichever one YOU like best. And don't assume that because the interview was less than stellar that reflects on your potential as a librarian (you did, after all, successfully help someone find a copy of "Everybody Poops," and I'm sure you accomplished a lot more than that at the old HBLL). It just means you shouldn't become a professional interviewer. Heck, that kind of job would push anyone over the edge before long.

Above all, remember that the Lord will help you get where you need to be. If that library was where you were supposed to go, things would have worked out. Since they didn't, there's presumably something else out there that will be a better match for you. The Lord loves you and knows everything you're going through. He won't let you down.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh... I have friends who make me smile. THANK GOODNESS. You guys are great. :^)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh. Um, I actually realized that my last comment was cheesy. Good thing cheese is delish, right guys? Guys.....???

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I particularly like provolone. Colby-jack's good, too.

Anonymous said...

I would like to sing a song for you: ahem...
Okay, so your heart is broken
You sit around mopin'
Cryin' and cryin'
You say you`re even thinkin' about dyin'
Well, before you do anything rash, dig this (that's my favorite line :)

Everybody plays the fool sometime
There's no exception to the rule
Listen, baby, it may be factual, may be cruel
I ain't lyin', everybody plays the fool

This song just seems to put that horrible "Ooopps...I just amputated the wrong leg" feeling into perspective...everybody does stupid stuff. Choking doesn't mean you should give up on food! Don't lose heart! But if this points you toward a direction you hadn't thought of before...more power to ya! You are brave to even consider that your future could be different than you'd planned. It'll work out Bethy!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

*Shniff, shniff.* Thanks, Pam! *Smiles wetly*. I'm still figuring it all out--but after all the shock has worn off a little bit, I'm actually leaning back towards libraries. With maybe a little doodling on the side. BA-lah. We'll see. :^)

Anonymous said...

Glad things are looking brighter. You'll do great no matter what course you choose. And I ain't just sayin' that to be nice.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say...before Joellen could have knee surgery (she's doing great, recovering well, planning on getting married August 4th) she had to sign her knee and tell them that it was the correct one to operate on. Christian--tell me that you won't become the kind of doctor that makes things like this necessary.
Beth, all I can say is I love you and don't lose your self-confidence because of what a couple of strangers might think about you. Oh yeah. I used to sell "Everybody Poops" at Natural Wonders. Strange what you don't forget.
I better go sleep. This weekend Morgan celebrated having attended Becca's reception by throwing up repeatedly afterwards...we all got sick...pondered taking Morgan to the ER Sunday because of dehydration...stuck it out, and Ed drove to Sandy for a meeting Monday, came home, took Morgan to the doctor (I was sick, sick, sick and needed help), and promptly sickened himself, and ended up in the ER receiving two liters of saline solution through an IV. We're mostly better now, but rest is still a good thing.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yikes! You poor sickies! You totally had a harder week than I did. :^/ :^) I'm glad you're doing better, but I hope you're able to rest up!