Saturday, May 13, 2006

I thought Mother's Day was supposed to be about flowers, not dead bug carcasses...

Who knew? I mean, I spent all those years coloring in crayon on construction paper, and buying kitchen appliances, and writing heartfelt letters. I never knew that what my mom wanted all along was to have all of us kids do a kamikaze clean in our unfinished basement, which until about 4:00 this afternoon was filled with boxes and boxes of old school projects, stuffed animals, clothing from the 80's and stuff from my mission that I never thought I'd throw away.

Oh, yes. And dead bug carcasses.

(Although, I suppose the 'dead' part of that phrase is a bit redundant.)

So, in other news, right now my entire family (well, all of the siblings at least) are gathered around our speaker phone in the kitchen, listening to my brother (now on a mission in Japan) talk to my parents. We've got people sitting on our (don't worry--it's clean!) kitchen floor, people perched on the stools at our kitchen island, and my brother-in-law gesticulating about a missionary taking a spider monkey home from Brazil. Ohyes. And, my nephew eating pretzels. On the floor. That might be a bit unsanitary.

And me, of course, sitting here, typing on my laptop, trying to make out exactly what my brother is saying while my brother-in-law is talking about a tropical bird. (He tells great stories, by the way.)

Well, I'm actually a bit distracted right now, trying as I am to listen to my brother on the speaker phone. So I guess I better go.

I just thought I'd tell you all that I'm covered in dust & spider webs, (and the ever present dead bug carcasses) and that from the roughly 10 boxes of shtuff I had sticking around in the basement, I'm down to two. And a half. I'm still not ready to toss out my discussions...maybe in another 10 years or so.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth Beth bo-Beth banana fana fo-Feth, me my mo-Meth. BE-ETH!

--Libby

Lizardbreath McGee said...

LIBBY???? Holy schnikes! I can't believe you have graced my lowly blog with your presence! How're you doing???

Anonymous said...

I'm fantastic, thank you. Christian is here for the week. We were talking about blogs, and he showed me yours (I hope you don't find that too terribly creepy). Christian now has a blog but he has yet to update it-- I think we both need to pester him until he starts writing in it regularly.

It is here: http://christianthered.livejournal.com/

Mine is here:
http://littlelibby.livejournal.com/
...but you can't see it unless you have LJ. Shucks.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hm. I only find it moderately creepy (roughly in the range of 30-40%), which is a level of creepiness I can definitely live with.

And I'll check out your blogs! I guess I'll have to sign up for LJ though, so I can pester unrestrained.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Libby! How the heck are ya?!? I haven't seen you in forever! Are you in Seattle for the summer? I checked out ya'lls blogs too...now you're the one that's creeped out, eh? :) I'm waiting for some deep thoughts from both of you...

Beth, Your basement saga inspired me to finally attack my box of mission stuff. I didn't throw anything away though. I'm not brave like you. I mostly just took something out and said, "Ahh...I forgot all about that" or "Ohhh...how sweet...I remember that" or "Why the heck didn't I do all of this a long time ago before I forgot who all of this crap was from?" But it was lovely, and some of it is even "organized" into little piles now. So thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You're a step ahead of me, Pam. Most of my mission stuff is still at my parents' house. Except my pictures--you gotta keep those around. I should really write down who everyone is, though, before I forget (more of) their names.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Pam, every other time I've gone through my stuff, that's been my reaction. I'm not sure what came over me on Saturday, but I think it was the reality of realizing that the only reason I was keeping most of this stuff was so that I could plop down by the box, sift through the stuff & remember. And, for the other 999 days out of 1000, the box would sit in a corner of my room and collect dust. And dead bug carcasses. Ick.

But in any case, I'm WAY proud of you! Wahoo for small, organized piles of stuff! (Heck, that's how I clean my stuff up most of the time...)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

And Kim, you'll get there. :^)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam! Yep, I'm in Seattle for the summer and forever after. I've transferred to the University of Washington. Where are you currently situated?

Anonymous said...

UW eh? You gave up the Cougars to be a dawg? I'm shocked! I'm in Seattle too....in Covington actually. Are you living with your parents? Or up by the school somewhere? Seattle's super great don't you think!

By the way....Beth.....when are you coming to visit me?

Anonymous said...

Seattle is so great. I'm having a love affair with the city in fact. I'm living with my parents for now, but am in the process of finding someplace to live in the U district. My parents insist I room with Mormon girls...now I just have to find some.

Yeah Beth, you totally need to visit Pam. And then you can see me, which I'm sure is on the top of your life's to-do list.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oooooooooo.... Methinks I have a visit to Seattle in my future. When? I'm not sure. But sometime. When I'm sure Jade (my lovely car) can survive the trip... Which means I need to get my brakes checked... Blah.