Friday, May 19, 2006

Is this title profound?

I was going to write something profound tonight. It had something to do with night breezes and possibly praying, and the way something felt a little like falling in love.

But I can't remember what it was.

And, instead of writing it down like a sensible person would've done, I sat there on the couch, watching a recorded Gilmore Girls episode, drawing swirly doodles & dots. I was entertained, but I wasn't profound.

Maybe being entertained is a little bit like falling in love--we fall in love because we're amused, because we have witty conversations with the person we fall in love with. Or perhaps not.

And now I'm sitting here, lounging in my pajamas, listening to crickets and the sound of my fan oscillating in a monotonous undertone to the thoughts in my tired brain.

Maybe wearing pajamas is a little like falling in love. Or crickets, perhaps. Maybe crickets make more sense. They're black. And they have carapaces. Just like...falling in love?

And now I'm trying to keep from falling asleep, and proving mostly unsuccessful, except that I wanted to sit here and write and try to connect a little bit with all of you. Say something profound, try to change the world a little bit for the better, and failing mostly, but still feeling okay about it.

Maybe...maybe that's all a little bit like falling in love.

Man. I gotta sleep.

7 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, come on. I know people have been here. My hit count is steadily going up! So say 'hello!' Leave your mark! Say I'm strange and that I need more sleep! (Although I could have told you that already.)

Anonymous said...

I guess I just felt unqualified to respond to this one....are youuuuu falling in love???? hmmmmmm????? What aren't you telling us Beth!???

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oooooh. I think I'm going to have to do a post about this. But not today. I got 2 & 1/2 hours of sleep last night, and as soon as I get home from work, I am going straight to bed. (Well, maybe I'll watch Gilmore Girls first...)

Anonymous said...

I will post this comment entirely in Chinese...the language of grunting:

Hallo!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Ahhh haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Becca said...

You're killing me, Beth! And why did you only get 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night, young lady? Hmmm? Who were you out late with? C'mon, tell us!

Anonymous said...

Tellllllllllllll usssssssssssssss nooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oooooh, haha! I will NEVER TELL! :^) Except in the next post I make.

Actually, I'm supposed to be picking hymns for Sunday now, but I'll try to post later on this evening.

And, well, my getting 2&1/2 hours of sleep really has nothing to do with it. :^/