Friday, October 26, 2007

I'll take the hairy one, thank you.

So, I just watched a 1983 version of The Pirates of Penzance and I realized something about myself: I've been in love with The Pirate King for years.

You know how some kids love certain movies to death? As in they love them so much that they watch them approximately 257 times per day (the rules of time and space do NOT apply when a kid is on a movie-watching kick), resulting in the death of any parents or guardians who are subjected to the noise of Barney singing that one song for the NOT KIDDING YOU TWENTY MILLIONTH TIME??!??!?!???

I have been that kid.

But instead of watching Barney (which was not around when I was a youngster) or Disney videos (well...maybe Sleeping Beauty), the videos I remember watching over and over (and also: over) were, I kid you not, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and The Pirates of Penzance.

I realize now that somewhere in my pre-preadolescent self, there were the seeds of something that would germinate into what I now reluctantly acknowledge as my adult...erm...inclinations, otherwise known as the fact that I kind of think hairy men are sexy.

There. I said it.

Which is why, watching The Pirates of Penzance at 3 o'clock in the morning, I felt all wrapped up in comfortable nostalgia and uncomfortable realizations that the reason I loved Pirates so much as a little girl was both that it has catchy music and a crazy zany plot, and also because it has some seriously beautiful men, one of whom has a seriously hairy chest and is the ONE example of a man with a mustache whom I have ever, ever found attractive.

Which makes me feel all weird about myself.

But there you go.

4 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks for sharing. :)

I may have to rent that. I don't go in much for hairy men, but I'll take a zany plot any day.

Joanna said...

All I remember about this movie is that a certain spot showed a camera shot from directly above with dancing underneath, and we rewinded that 30 seconds and watched it over and over.

How did Mom survive?

Mama M said...

Hmmmm...I think she left the room.

Becky said...

I would LOVE to see that movie again. And just so you know, Mama, it was Beth's idea to watch that one. Jo and I just went along for the ride b/c BETH wanted to! :0)

And about that hairy man thing. I hope you know Vince has become embraced not only hairy, but MOUNTAIN man hairy in the past year or so. (I'm kinda hoping it's just a phase!) But I'm not worried b/c I'm guessing you go for the hairy chest and arms rather than the bushy beard, am I right?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how you feel this way about hairy men, considering the very hairylessness of our very own Papa...?