Monday, March 12, 2007

Five stages of happiness

I've never realized this before, but the stages of happiness actually closely mirror the five stages of grief.

For instance, when I received a letter today saying that I'd been accepted to an MLS program at the school I like the best, my stages of happiness were as follows:

1. Denial - I couldn't believe they had accepted me. I had to double check my name at the top of the letter to be sure they'd sent it to the right person.
2. Painful feeling of happiness (Grief: Anger) - Okay. So maybe it wasn't painful happiness, but my cheeks started hurting with all the smiling I was doing. Ouch!
3. Bargaining - My parents reminded me that this college isn't the only fish in the sea of MLS programs (man that analogy doesn't work well here) and I immediately started formulating arguments that would mean I should go to this program despite its higher cost and despite its being so darn far away from family.
4. Euphoria (Grief: Depression) - Whoooo! Defninitely in this one now! I kind of half-jumped on my bed, a thing which a woman in her late 20's definitely should never do.
5. Acceptance - Not quite ready to do this yet, since I do realize that my parents' fish/sea argument does have some merit. However, my gut is crying out for this place. (Which actually sounds really weird. I'm glad you can't hear it. Ew.)

So.

I'm in.

I'M IN!

5 comments:

Pat said...

Holy Cow!! Congrats!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! That's exciting!! And I'm sure you deserve every ounce of that acceptance. :)

Nemesis said...

Congratulations--check you OUT!! Which program is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Thanks, all of you! :^) And Lindsay, I'm not sure how many ounces I deserve; I'm guessing it was entirely due to the very flattering (and thus innacurate) letters of recommendation written on my behalf.

And Nemesis, it's Simmons College in Boston. I'm not even sure how it ranks with other schools, but there's just something about Boston... Seriously. I can't stop grinning.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Huzzah for Beth!!!