Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Dreamy

All of my teeth fell out again last night. Or rather, early this morning, I think.

It was one of those times when they start coming out, and I can feel it, so (while sitting or standing in a large group of people) I mess around with my tongue trying to fit the detatched teeth back to where they belong in my gums, only to have more fall out from the movement.

At last, in despair, I go to the bathroom and let them all come out into my hands, where they sit, crumbled porcelain remnants of my molars, bicuspids and incisors. My incisors, the only ones still whole, I try to attach back onto my gums, gazing into a mirror as I carefully handle the small, translucent white teeth, placing them onto that smooth pink surface.

And of course, that's the moment the alarm goes off.

I've dreamed about losing my teeth before, but I don't know what it means this time.

The last time I dreamed it, my mom told me she thought it indicated a certain feeling of powerlessness. Something clicked in me when I heard the explanation; I felt an instant connection between the crumbling of my teeth and this feeling of helpless, flailing impotence I was experiencing in my life just then.

But now?

I don't feel powerless. I don't really feel anxious. Why on earth would I dream about losing all of my teeth?

And does the fact that the loss of my teeth made me look like Ruth Wilson (who plays Jane Eyre in the Masterpiece Theatre adaptation) have anything to do with anything?

Seriously. I'm open to explanations.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i suppose being anonymous to a degree allows one to be rude about someone else???

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Potentially. However, it depends on whether the anonymity is permanent and/or impenetrable.

So, dish! Who is it you wish to be rude about? (I hope it's not me...)

Joanna said...

Dr. Moody's hygienist told me that people dream they lose their teeth when they grind their teeth at night. Not as Freudian an answer, but it makes sense to me. I have the lost tooth dream every month or two, and Jacob has to sleep with the fan on so my grinding doesn't wake him up at night.

Joanna said...

Oh, and I thought I should let you know, since Jane Eyre seems to be the theme lately, that I will not be returning your copy of the book anytime soon. So far it's been weeks and I'm not even done with the second chapter. I want to read, really, it's just...those words are really big.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

And I think I have just discovered why I grind my teeth at night. Life without my copy of Jane Eyre makes me cranky.

Just kidding, of course. And actually, I've wondered for some time if I'm a grinder. I guess this kind of proves it!

And take your time with Jane Eyre; the big words are definitely worth it, so I want you to read it. Really.

Anonymous said...

I GET THESE DREAMS ALL THE TIME!!!!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Dang! You too?

Blastit--what does it all MEAN? If only I knew...the secret of my pitiful existence would oust itself, I'm sure.

Pat said...

Oh where oh where is that dream doctor when you need him?