Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Why Institute is Good and Speed Dating is Not

Do I really have to delineate this for you?

Institue: spiritual discussions led by a knowledgeable, worthy priesthood holder charged with the education and instruction of the area's young single adult population. A place in which to gather together to hear the word of God and the history of His church.

Speed Dating: meat market. Emphasis on first impressions and awkward five-minute conversations with members of the opposite gender. An unfortunate lean towards attraction based on superficial characteristics such as appearance.


Institute: great big thick textbooks. With lots of cool information about church history. Scriptures encouraged.

Speed Dating: no books, unless you bring one and place it on your desk as a kind of talisman, or as a way to say to that casual observer opposite you that you are a literary and intelligent person.


Institute: prayers, hymns and cool stories about temples.

Speed Dating: prayers for a quick end to your suffering, dirges, and perfect strangers inquiring about your temple-worthiness.


Really. Need I say more?

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

This post reminds me of something Adrian Monk said on an episode of "Monk" which involved him experiencing first-hand the horrors of speed dating:

"Speed dating? No, no, that's like Dante's Seventh Circle of Hell."

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I always knew I loved Monk. :^)

Anonymous said...

This has very little connection with anything posted, but I have been wondering...Did med school eat Christian? Anyone have contact information for him? Should I start whistling dirges (assuming I could whistle)? Ah, there's the connection. Speed dating...dirges...Christian.
Christian, you'd better respond. Otherwise, this one's for you Flubbb (I don't whistle but that is a raspberry dirge).

Anonymous said...

So were you subjected to the horrors of speed dating at a time when you were spiritually vulnerable...when you were expecting something completely different...when you were hoping to find peace and inspiration but were given self-doubt and inane conversation instead? That totally stinks. The perils of being single are completely inescapable aren't they? Lame-os.
What ever happened to learning about Jesus??? Was he subjected to these constant batterings over dating every spare moment of your life???? WAS HE????!!

Anonymous said...

Hard to say which is more amusing - Monk or the principle of a raspberry dirge. I want those at my funeral someday. :)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oooh. I have, since posting this, realized that I probably should have told you that I didn't actually attend the speed-dating here discussed. I simply listened while an adult leader seriously talked up the activity and I decided that it was not the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Hence the post.

Sorry about the confusion. *Slinks away, rather ashamedly*