Monday, February 19, 2007

And on Sundays he directs ward choir

I am amazed at how little we can know the people with whom we interact on a regular basis.

I've known David Linn since he & his wife moved to our ward several years ago. I knew he was an artist, and felt some small gratification in the knowledge that I knew someone whose work had appeared in the Ensign and in church museums several times over the past few years.

Yesterday, he joked around with members of the choir as we gathered to rehearse and hash out a new piece we'll be performing in March. He suggested that we go to his website, where we could download audio files of the various parts to facilitate our learning of them.

So I did.

And this is what I found.

I've spent the past twenty minutes or so just browsing his work and reading his biography. I find it stunning--both the quality and depth of his artistry and the fact that I had no idea that this is what our ward choir director is, deep down in his soul where noone really sees. I suppose that, as an artist, he has a better chance of exposing his inmost parts than the rest of us do, but all of these painting suggest a depth that I had not suspected.

I still haven't listened to those music files. I think they'll have to wait until after I've perused the art a bit more.

3 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

*jawdrop* Did you look at Jeffra's blog? I didn't even know she did photography! She's amazing!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I like his "Where I Walk" essay even more than his artwork. One quote I particularly enjoyed was:

“The choice that my psyche seemed to offer me from an early age was ‘Create or go crazy, or at least be miserable!’”

Also liked the anonymous quote at the top of the essay:

“Originality is the art of concealing your sources.”

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hi, Richard! Welcome!

While I haven't been able to find a site that keeps track of which numbers the choir has sung, I know that much of the music they perform is collected together on their CD recordings, so perusing the titles on these CDs (you can see a list of them by clicking HERE), might be helpful.

Also, I know many of the songs the choir sings are Mack Wilberg arrangements, and I believe his publisher is the Oxford University Press. You can see a list of the sheet music he's done by going HERE.

I hope this helps! Good luck in your choral searches!