Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stanley visits the public library.

Well, all. Today was very, very, very, very rainy and wet and kind of miserable when you walked around in it wearing canvas shoes that soaked through approximately twenty seconds after you stepped outside and kept squelching when you walked.

Luckily, Stanley got through it okay by remaining safely tucked into books or notebooks that were, in turn, safely tucked into my backpack, which I tried my best to cover up with my umbrella.

It would, in fact, have been a perfect day to stay inside. However, I found that I needed some serious bookage. Some serious Young Adult (YA) Literature bookage, to be specific. And as we all know, the best place to find YA Lit is...

That's right! Your local public library! (And as I plan to work in a public library after graduation, I am particularly fond of recommending visits to 'em.)


So, Stanley and I made our way past rivers and ponds (previously known as roads and crosswalks) and made it to the local public library, where we perused the shelves in the YA room and came away with such notable titles as Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson, A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes, and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen.

Of course, before leaving, I had to show Stanley my favorite spot to stop and peruse a magazine (like The Writer or Astronomy):


Then, Stanley and I came back to my apartment, where I put my shoes on the radiator in an attempt (which turned out to be futile) to dry them off before I left for class. In the interim, Stanley helped me muddle through the intricacies of the articles we were assigned to read for today's lecture:


Later, during class this evening, Stanley was good enough to take notes while I dozed off. (However, for all of you who like that idea, I encourage you to resist the impulse to have Flat Stanley take notes for you. Flat people don't seem able to hold pens very well.)


Finally, Stanley and I went to work, where we were pretty bored for several hours. When the shift ended at 1am, we took a taxi home to my apartment. (I would have taken a picture of the taxi driver, but...I felt kind of shy.)

Tomorrow's my day off, so, although I have errands to run and lots of homework to do, I'll try to find something interesting for Stanley and me to do as well.

3 comments:

Mama M said...

Sounds like a wet and busy day! I am so glad that you are, according to the Emily Post rules for being a good hostess, keeping Stanley dry when you are out and about. If he got wet and then dried off again he might not be so very flat anymore.

BTW, Happy Valentine's Day! Your manly companion may be a paper doll, but remember that your mom and dad love you oodles!

I'll be in Colorado tonight. Wow, the day is here at last. And I think we will be seeing baby Sarah within a day or two at the most. I'll keep you posted.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I am most pleased to see you (and Stanley) have some fantastic book choices. I have personally been doing a lot of YA reading (perhaps vestiges of my lost teen-hood?) Anyway, enjoy that part of your librarian-training. I enjoyed most of it (not so much the books with the "icky" content :)

Joanna said...

I want you to know that Hyrum loves to go to story time at our local public library.