Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stanley goes to church!

It's true, gentle readers: our intrepid explorer was kind enough to attend church with me, and later we saw a few sights while walking around Cambridge this afternoon.

It was, in fact, pretty good times.


Above is Stanley in front of the church building, which is this nice oldish brick building with kind of fun white columns out front.

After church, we walked over to the house where the famous poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow lived. In fact, Longfellow wasn't the only famous person to live in this house: George Washington did too!




(By the way, I'm so sorry that the backgrounds on the pictures are blurry. I told Stanley to stand back a bit, but he just wouldn't let go of my fingers. Silly paper boy.)


Later, as we walked some more around Cambridge, we walked past this old cemetery. There are plenty of old graveyards in and around Boston; one of the fun things to do here is to see who is buried in them and imagine what sort of lives they lived. Earlier in the year, I even saw a gravestone for a man who had been a librarian!


Then, just across the street from the graveyard, is Harvard University.


You can't see much of it here, but a lot of the buildings are red brick. (In fact, there are a lot of brick buildings around Boston...)

Then, we decided it was time to head for home, so we got on the subway to come back to my apartment. See that circle with the black capital T? That means that this is an entrance to the subway! Here in Boston, we call the subway "The T," which is short for MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority). There are several different lines on the T (each has a different color assigned to it, like red, orange, blue, green and silver) and each goes through different places. The red line (the one you see in these pictures) goes through Cambridge, then down into Boston, then to other places south of Boston.


And here's a (blurry) picture of Stanley on the subway with me. It was only a little crowded this afternoon. Sometimes, if a lot of people need to ride the subway trains, the whole middle part is filled up with people standing, crammed in next to each other so close that you feel a little like one little baby carrot in a whole bag full of 'em.


Well. That's about it for Flat Stanley's adventures today. We'll both talk to you again tomorrow (or so I anticipate).

******************
Edit: Sorry! I posted this last night and then realized this morning that I had left an entire paragraph (the one about the T) uncompleted. It's all written up now, though. So. Go read it and stuff.

7 comments:

Mama M said...

So good to see you and the new man in your life out and about the wide wide (albeit flat) world! Stanley appears to your mother to be a perfect gentleman and traveling companion. But do, please, reassure me that he is bedding down for the night on the living room sofa! To quote Michael O'Flynn, in the old John Wayne movie The Quiet Man, "The proprieties will be observed at ALL times!"

Happy Sunday and Happy Week to you both.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Er. I think he may be bedding down in my backpack, tucked into the pages of a YA novel I need to return to the library.

I hope that counts for propriety's sake.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Was he reverent in church?

Your Name said...

tucked into a book sounds delightful...if I were flat, I'd sooo sleep in between the pages of howl's moving castle...

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

Personally, I'd like to sleep in-between the pages of The Pinhoe Egg. . . .

Debbie Barr said...

I think I'd do well in The Goose Girl. Or Ella Enchanted (just finished that for the umpteenth, lovely read)

Anyways.

Way cool to come on and see all these posts! It made me happy. Also, you seem to have stolen the "favorite Aunt" title from me, as our niece is writing to you and not to me. *wah* ;)

Debbie Barr said...

Oh... on reading the posts, I realized Brooke wrote you, and since I see her all the time...

yeah. I'm dumb.