Saturday, January 20, 2007

And you/I thought I could never do it

I am amazed at myself.

Today, with MUCH help from my patient mother, I did something I've never done before.

I sewed some bits of cloth into a recognizeable, useable shape! (As opposed to a small square of fabric covered in crooked lines.)

This past Christmas, our family put together several newborn kits for the Humanitarian Aid Center. Several of us (mostly my sisters and I) had the task of sewing up baby blankets to put in the kits. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to get near a sewing machine, a thing I generally avoid on principle.

However, today was the day to get it done, and after a little cajoling from my mom and after taking a few deep breaths, I followed my mother's careful instructions and produced this:





And here's how it looks inside the kit:


So, despite the fact that the corners are pudgy and the seams are crooked and one side is decidedly longer than the other, still, some baby somewhere in a country nearby (or far away) will be warm.

And that is a good thought indeed.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Looks like you did a right dandy job! Good for you!

Pam Graney said...

You should be very proud that your first sewing endeavor was so successful that it could not only make you feel proud but make some cute little baby nice and warm at the same time. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

You are indeed to be congratulated that your first sewing job went so well. The first time I tried using a sewing machine on my own, I impaled my finger. Obviously I lived to sew again, but it still wasn't fun. Glad your experience was relatively benign. :)