Thursday, August 24, 2006

Of Haircuts and Happy Birthdays

I had a good day today.

Without going into too much detail, let's just say that I got a good haircut (my opinion of which is, of course, subject to my attempts to style it tomorrow morning...) and I got to buy books (two novels by Ursula LeGuin, plus Bleak House and Middlemarch) and eat LOTS of Italian-style food (mmm...delicious Italian-style food...) in which marinara sauce figured a prominent role.

However, there is one thing that would have made my birthday perfect: if my nephew had been born today. Now, he's got only a little over two hours to make the date, and I have a feeling he...well...he just won't make it. My poor younger sister has been longing for this baby to pop out for many days now and my nephew is just being stubborn. (Methinks he likes the womb.)

So, while it would have been cool to share a birthday with my sister's kid, still it'll be fun to just share August as a birthday month with him. You know, it's kind of funny--I arrived rather early into the world (I was actually born 19 days early, which means I was due on September...lemme think here...*counts days on her calendar*...September 12th) and this baby seems determined to stick it out in his mother's abdomen for as long as possible.

Okay--I'm exaggerating. The kid's actually not due until August 31st, but we're all still anxious to see him anyway, and find out whether he resembles my sister or her husband more and whether or not he'll be bald for the first year or so of his life, and whether he'll be a towhead like his parents. (Genetically speaking, it's pretty likely.)

Anyway--huh. Kind of diverged on my topic here. So, long & short of it: Good Birthday. Good Haircut. Gooooooood cake. Good night.

(Oh--and about Boston...I want to get out there more than ever, but I'm still uncertain about how I'd do it all, and I'm uncertain about the timing, and I'm REALLY uncertain about my own ability to handle a move like that. So. We'll see. Oh, and I just found out that some MSN study has found Boston to be one of the top 5 drunkest cities in the US. Go figure. But then, maybe I'd help even it out a little. You know--with my absolute non-drunkenness?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like my usual fogginess about whether August 24th or August 26th is the special day struck again. It will be kind of funny if Joanna has her child on the 26th. Statistically, though, her chances aren't good, just because many first children are born after their due date. Later children are more likely to be born early, which sounds like a conundrum.
Happy Birthday, Beth. I'm glad your day went well. And maybe tomorrow (the day that I classically remember as your birthday) I should do something about it.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday beautiful Bethi-lou-who! Love heaps! Emily

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Aw, thanks guys. :^)

And, I must say--my day went so well in part because I knew I had a ton of friends who love me.

(Aw. So sweet. My teeth are rotting.) ;^)

Anonymous said...

Feliz cumpleanos, Beth!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Gracias! (Hm. I think that's how they say it in Spain.)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA

I love you.