Monday, August 28, 2006

And lo, how the yellow moon...

Okay--due to inflammatory content, I'm determined to bury my previous post as quickly as possible.

Sorry, guys. I didn't realize it would generate such a vehement reaction. I thought it was kind of funny--sad & bitter but funny still, and I only really felt HALF serious about it--but...it really should be forgotten as quickly as possible, I believe.

So.

As I was driving home this evening, I kept glancing over at the thin crescent moon hovering near the western horizon. It's position this evening was such that it was pretty darn close to the ground before it finally disappeared behind some low promontory or other. I kept staring at it and wanting to write poetry, and I kept thinking of the phrase: "And lo, how the yellow moon..." But "how the yellow moon WHAT???" kept popping in right afterwards, rendering the phrase cheesy & ridiculous.

I don't actually write poetry that contains phrases like "And lo, how the yellow moon..." I just want to make that clear.

I do write poetry that strives to be more grandiose than it actually is, but I think for the most part I manage to rein it in. A little.

But still, the poetry-writing organ in me (is that the brain? or the heart? or (heaven forbid) the missing gallbladder?) longs to come up with flowery phrases and iambic metric schemes and non-cheesy rhymes (which I am absolutely NOT capable of producing) and thus generates phrases for me like "And lo, how the yellow moon..."

So, whether I'm talking about "And lo, how the yellow moon doth drift like a mostly-nibbled-away cheese wheel down to the brooding horizon," or "And lo, how the yellow moon lunges like a Tie Fighter ready to blast apart the numerous earth-dwellings of those feeble humans," or "And lo, how the yellow moon doth become more yellow and more moony as it creeps closer to the engulfing horizon which looms like a big...ocean...or something," still, I take great comfort in the fact that while I may write really awful poetry, there's NO WAY people are going to rip it out of that wall-safe I had installed and publish it and thus really humiliate me.

Yeah. That didn't even make any sense.

'K. Time to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://toothpastefordinner.com/gallery-bad.jpg

Anonymous said...

I like the "mostly-nibbled-away cheese wheel" version. Is that some sort of metaphor, or were you just hungry at the time?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ooooooh, I likes the orange T, Libby. I guess I can't ask for it for my birthday though. Sigh.

Kim, it was TOTALLY a metaphor--a metaphor for life, and how the cheese (or substance) of life is slowly nibbled away (or subsumed) by the...erm...nibblers (or mice) of life...Yes. The mice of life.

It makes sense to ME.

Anonymous said...

Mice of life, eh? I laughed so much I almost lost the raisin bran of life all over my desk. Reading your blog is not without its perils. :)

Pat said...

LOL! Awesome Beth - I just found a new favorite blog!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wahoo! And Pat, I've put you on my favorites list too! :^D