Saturday, August 26, 2006

I was wrong. I was all wrong.

I (foolishly) watched Pride & Prejudice again this evening, but at least it helped me realize something very important. My previous post about Austen's leading men was completely off.

We don't fall in love with Mr. Darcy because he has fine manners or dresses well. It's not even really because he does really nice things for Elizabeth, (like save her sister from moral & social ruin), although that's certainly a symptom of the reason why we fall in love with him.

We fall in love with Darcy because he is completely in love himself with Elizabeth--helplessly so. And when, at the end, he declares that his feelings for her are unchanged, and can hardly draw breath for the intensity of his emotion, we melt.

I melt.

I melted.

Maybe that's all we want. The dancing and the elegant letter-writing and the clean handkerchiefs are all well and good, but what we really want, what we really need, is for someone to love us as thoroughly and helplessly as Mr. Darcy loved Elizabeth Bennett, for someone to look at us as he looked at her.

Oh, DARN it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that both elements fit together. Mr. Darcy's love has clout because of the admirable man that he is; were he a crass unintelligent boor who loved her deeply he would probably qualify as comic relief or a frightful horror who inspired flight! Also, while it is pleasant to be loved, it just isn't enough if the one dishing out the melting glances isn't the right person. It's even worse if you happen to return their love but cannot choose them.
To sum up--being loved only inspires love if the lover is loveable, and only lasts if the lovee chooses to perpetuate it.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ah. Then, I believe I am doomed. Alackaday.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh- i LOVE that movie! i JUST watched it the other night with the director commentary- AGAIN! and i have to CHEERFULLY agree- DITTO with you!