Friday, July 21, 2006

Poor men. They haven't got a chance.

On behalf of those of us (aka women) who are fond of Jane Austen and her film incarnations, I must break it to the rest of the world that, I'm sorry, you'll just never quite measure up.

You see, the Jane Austen men (at least the leading men) will always be universally charming, romantic, and impeccably dressed. And, while the rest of you (aka living & breathing men) certainly have powers of charm & romance, these powers seem to dissipate all too quickly. You sometimes blow your noses too loudly, or leave a bit of a mess around the toilet. In the world of romance, some of you may pursue too hard, and others (shockingly) never fall in love with the right person at all (i.e. the woman who wants you). In short, you're real--you have problems and issues just like us, and we can't have that, now can we?

Jane Austen men always properly dispose of their hankies. And, at the end, they always seem to screw up enough courage to tell the woman of their dreams that they are lost unless she saves them. How can you blame us then when about every five seconds there's a woman who sighs as the ending credits of Pride & Prejudice start scrolling down the screen, or as she sets down Persuasion after the long-awaited reunion of Anne and Captain Wentworth, or as she realizes while reading Sense and Sensibility just how much Colonel Brandon cares for Marianne, and that really he can make her much more happy than Willoughby ever could.

Alas, you real-life red-blooded men. Try as hard as you may, you can never quite measure up to those little expectations we generate for you. You can never truly be Mr. Darcy. It really isn't your fault, though. And eventually, we women will put down the book, or turn off the television, and come back to our senses...but perhaps never quite all the way. Be patient with us, will you? There's a dear.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

So true! I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I will concede that it is hard to imagine a more admirable and appealing leading man than Colin Firth as Darcy, especially when he was grinning as he listened to Lizzy play the piano (boy howdy, was that man whooped).

I must say, though, that my initial infatuation met a serious reality check the day I imagined what he'd say if he saw me working bare-handed in my garden wearing a sweaty T-shirt.

"A truly refined lady would not participate in such a menial and dirty activity," he declared.

"She would if she was following prophetic counsel to plant a garden," I replied.

"No, she would instruct her servants to tend the garden for her."

"But then the servants would get all the blessings . . ."

And so it went. I don't think the matter was ever resolved to either party's satisfaction. Good thing--Phillip and I get along much better. He even thinks it's cute that I like to press my nose and make squeaky noises--I'm sure Darcy would have found that highly unsettling.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ah, hahaha! Okay--I've been bested. Maybe real life is better. Forgive me if I go off into these occasional swoons over fictional characters. It's a weakness in MINE, I think. :^)