Sunday, July 02, 2006

Holy Schnahoodles! Could it have been Donny?

Okay--as (I believe) pretty much all of you know, I go singing about twice a month to a (semi) local retirement home. In fact, most of you have been part of that singing group at one time or another! (Gosh, I miss those days.)

Well, this evening, I went as usual to my singing appointment, although I had to schedule it for the first rather than the second Sunday due to my imminent surgery. So, it was one of those solo times, where I did kind of a one-woman performance for everybody who would come in the room, sit down & listen to me. Most of the time it goes pretty smoothly, but upon occasion, I mess up on the piano or squeak pretty bad. Thank goodness the residents don't usually mind too much. They're so darn nice to me!

Anyway--to get to my point, about halfway through singing today, I got a bit of a better look at a visitor in the audience. I'd been aware of him the whole time, (I'm usually more comfortable when it's just residents), but I hadn't really gotten a good look at his face. But, as I was asking for requests & having a brief conversation with one of the residents, I glanced over and saw....

Donny Osmond?

Or, it very well could have been someone who just looked like him.

But, it might have been Donny Osmond! Weird. So, I proceeded to keep on singing (with the occasional squeak & rather more than occasional goof on the piano) and tried not to think about the fact that Donny Osmond (or someone who looked like him) was sitting there next to an elderly relative (his dad? grandad?) listening to said squeaks and fumbles.

But, it very well might not have been Donny. In fact, it probably wasn't. Hey, I also though I saw a three-legged horse on the way home! That is, until I got near enough to see that it was standing sturdily on four. Man. And I haven't even started the pain medication yet.

Oh, what I have to look forward to.

P.S. Donny, if you did listen to me sing, thanks for not laughing. I love singing to those residents, and it's something that makes me feel like I'm using my smallish talent in a useful way. I think I enjoy it as much as they do--probably more, in fact. Even with (or without) possible famous persons sitting in on my pitiful performance. *Smiles*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you perform the Pirate Song for him? :)

Those were good times, weren't they? Everything from the obscure hymns to the Farm Song to the ramen opera . . .

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Alas, I did not 'yar' away at him. I admit--it didn't even occur to me at the time. Ach, I am ashamed.

They were good times. I miss them terribly.

Lindsay said...

This one time, when I worked at Home Depot, rumor spread among all the employees that Donny Osmond was in the store. So of course we all grew a third eye to try to catch a glimpse. I caught him walking towards the front of the store, and then...and then...he turned into my checkout line and paid me for the bathroom he was apparently remodeling (well, all right, so he didn't pay me, persay, but I didn't get to hold his credit card). I was the most famous cashier for a few days after that. :)

Anonymous said...

Some of my former roommates swear that Donny owes his irresistable animal magnetism to an enchanted sweater knitted by the nefarious Glenndimort in the year 1285. The rumors haven't been confirmed, though.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Lindsay, COOL! I confess, I didn't even walk up to him to shake his hand or anything. (If it really was Donny.) It would have been nice to actually interact slightly...lucky you!

And Kim, ooooh, the memories. That wonderful, wonderful sweater. Whatever became of that sweater, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

I think I heard something about it being cast into the fires of Mount Doom, but of course, one can't believe everything one hears. It may have ended up at DI.

Becca said...

Ahem. Since Donny Osmond is married to my uncle's niece, I consider myself quite the authority on him. (Okay, so I don't really know much about him other than that they had a bomb squad checking all the presents at their wedding, but hey, I like to pretend I'm cool). Anyway, yes, Beth, it probably was him since I saw him there once before and had a nice chat with his brother in the lobby. Now that he's heard you sing, he'll probably be contacting you with an offer for a record deal. Maybe you'll get to sing with him on his next Christmas CD and then Home Depot employees will all beg you to use their checkout line.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

*Squeals* Oh, at long last, my musical career will take off! Like a, erm, (lemme think), like a firework! Which zooms off, explodes, sparkles, and goes out before it hits the ground! I am SO looking forward to this! :^D (Hehehe!)

Anonymous said...

Dang--when I was your roommate I should have had you sign a bunch of random items (e.g. a T-shirt, some racy red pumps, my copy of The Hero and the Crown), so I could sell them on ebay when you become famous. Phillip and I could have retired in our twenties.

Missed opportunities are so deflating. I think I'll go eat some chocolate-covered almonds.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

That is as good a reason to eat chocolate-covered almonds as I have ever heard, Kim. :^)