Saturday, November 26, 2005

Nothing Says "Winter" Like Shoveling Snow

Okay, it's officially winter. There were hints of it before, (pretty heavy-handed hints, at that), but now it's here in earnest. Over the night, a storm plopped down about 4 or 5 inches onto our driveway, which, when I woke up, my siblings and I (in consequence of our non-rent-paying positions) had to shovel up, preferably before my dad got back from the hardware store. It wasn't so bad, but it was co-old.

While we're on the subject, can I just say that romantic comedies are totally unrealistic? Well, they are. My gathered family members (remember, we had Thanksgiving dinner today instead of on Thursday) have spent the last couple of hours watching You've Got Mail, a movie that I really actually enjoy. Most of the film is taken up with entertaining and angry banter between the two leads, until they realize that they're actually in love with each other (surprise, surprise). So, for most of the movie, their interactions seem utterly realistic. (There's nothing quite so realistic as two people who loathe each other.) It's at the end, when they finally meet and acknowledge their feelings for each other, and the Tom Hanks character (Joe Fox) says some really cheesy lines. I've always been slightly uneasy with them, but I'm usually so preoccupied with the wonderful feeling that at last these two characters get together that I've previously failed to notice just how dumb some of his lines are. Yeesh, I mean, "Don't cry, Shopgirl. Don't cry." Come on. So it's every woman's dream. So what?!? It gives us all unrealistic expectations, and believe me, that is the very last thing we all need here. *Grinds teeth a little.*

(Do I sound like an angry girl who spent the day watching her married sisters smooch their husbands? Good.) Anyway--not that I'm that angry. Or bitter. Or whatever. Yeah. I'm not. No, really. Don't get that look on your face; I'm completely serious. *Blows a raspberry in a rather irreverent manner.* Twerp. Well, happy snow anyway. I mean, happy winter. Er, happy...shopping season? Happy, happy...Meal o' Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I too have a hard time controlling my gag reflex during the "Don't cry, Shopgirl" line. In fact, sometimes my roommates and I will say that to each other just to get on each others' nerves or to give each other cavities. I'm glad there are others out there that feel the same. Well, hopefully you had a great Thanksgiving in spite of all the sibling-and-spouse-smooching. Just wait until it's nephew-and-spouse-smooching. Let me tell you, that's really weird.

Anonymous said...

I miss the snow! I don't miss shoveling snow, which I don't think I ever did since I lived on campus all the time and then the lovely girls next door used to shovel our walkway...I miss you kidd-o and I love hearing about your life on this blog! Emily

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Becca, I do not envy you the nephew-and-spouse-smooching. Fortunately, all of my nephews are under the age of 6, so it's going to be a good long while before I have to worry about that awkward situation. (And I absolutely LOVE that you & your roomies use that line to bug each other. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who finds it appalling.

And Emily, I agree. If I didn't have to shovel the snow, I would love it so much more! *Mutters to self about the serious need for a snow-blower.* Humma...and I miss you too. Dang. I gots to email you! *Vanishes to play in hotmail for a while*

Anonymous said...

Frankly, McGee, I don't remember such antics you described involving snow shoveling whilst papi was at the hardware store. But meh
-Joseph
P.S. Get used to my awesome web name Opario, it's all i'll ever use again.