Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Is it okay to just give up?

Lately I've read a lot of excellent blog posts about the whole LDS singlehood dating situation. Along with attendant comments, these posts offer a lot of insight into the problems, pains, hopes and frustrations all tied up in LDS dating life.

And let me tell you: it ain't pretty.

The other night, my roommate and I had a member of our ward over and the three of us talked together for hours about the things that are wrong (like really, deeply wrong) with LDS dating culture. I realized during the discussion just how much pain young single adults feel about this. I mean, I know I've felt pain about this before, and I'm sure I'll feel pained again, but this talk made me realize that pretty much all of us are really dealing with some really wrenching feelings, here. There's a lot, a LOT, of deep-rooted unhappiness. Or rather... It's not really unhappiness, just... Just pain. That's the only word that really fits well.

And, I don't know; I keep reading these posts and comments about trying hard and pursuing happiness and working on life plans while still at the same time retaining hope that your someone is still out there, that somehow with all the things that are messed up about the whole dating culture, you'll find each other, get to know each other well enough to have a friendship and fall in love and you'll get married and at last move out of the single state (into the, in some ways, way more complicated and difficult (but also wonderful) marriage state). These people who are writing really haven't given up hope that it will still happen for them.

Sometimes, I feel so old. Not old like a senior citizen; not by any means. I'm turning 30 this year, but it doesn't mean I'm getting into retirement age. But honestly, the thought of starting a marriage and family at this time in my life, with me being who I am: shy and reluctant to talk to people and awkward and too too flawed and really not remarkably attractive, I just...

Guys, I just don't see it happening.

I just don't.

And the thing is, I don't feel too sad or bitter about it or anything, so I don't want you to think I'm typing this while at the same time sobbing into my keyboard.

The way I'm approaching it now is this: It's just easier now to not hope for a marriage in this life. It means that I don't have to deal with the pain of fiercely expecting something that hasn't happened yet and doesn't show a real strong likelihood of happening at all. I think that's where a lot of the pain comes in: when your expectations of how life should be and how life really is are really disparate.

I actually feel pretty calm about this, like I'm taking a step forward. And I want to feel that it's okay to feel this way, that I don't have to keep up the pretense of hoping just so I can feel like I'm being a righteous person.

I love what I'm doing; I love it with an unanticipated strength. I feel that I've found my calling in life, or at least a calling. And if I never do get to have children of my own, at least I can help encourage the ones I meet to feel a love for learning about the world around them, to help them want to explore unfamiliar worlds, to get behind the eyes of people who live in books, to reach out and become part of a community of individuals who are interested in making the world better for everyone in it.

And I want that to be okay. And I want that to be enough. And I want to be able to say, "If these blessings come, I will gladly accept them. But if not, I will still trust in the Lord."

I'm not saying that every young single adult should give up any hope of marriage--that they'll be happier that way. I still hope that the majority of them will go on to marry and have children and experience those unique joys.

But not everyone gets the chance to marry.

And for those of us who never do, I want to be able to say that our lives are still okay. And it's still okay for us to be perfectly happy with them.

*********************************************************
P.S. Please, please, please don't be sad if you read this post. I'm not. Really and truly. And that's why I wanted to write it.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

This is greatness and brave and real and, you know what, it's more about embracing life and joy than anything else. And for that, I say, "yes." That's all, just "yes."

Your Name said...

You are absolutely correct...but just for fun... *pats on shoulder like a sympathetic twill and smiles sympathetically*

I want you to know that I look up to you in so many ways it's ridiculous--even though I haven't actually met you in person. You and your younger sister are my role models in life. . .

and if you haven't yet...you should read Leven Thumps.

Lindsay said...

You are a strong woman, and I admire you for that.

kia said...

Amen sista! I'm pretty sure everything I would want to comment about this I have already told you...so, yep. You're right on all levels and I love you for it.

kia said...

oh...and I should probably post my lengthy blog on the subject too...I'm just trying to get up the guts.

Palomita said...

Just want to say, I love you, Bethyloo. I missed seeing you when I was home last week. And, I can't wait to see you again. Neither can my kiddos. Big hugs from your big sis.

Becca said...

Beth, you are so amazing, and whichever calling is yours, the world will be better for it. And just a thought--up until I met Peter I was holding out to marry Alvin Smith in the next life (Joseph once said he was more handsome than anyone but Adam). If you really don't get married until then, I'll bet you get him, you lucky duck.

Heidi said...

soooo...I was thinking about this: http://heidiharris.blogspot.com/2006/10/sister-inuoe-and-sister-johnson.html

And I think it says more of what I meant to say when I commented. That is all.

Heidi said...

hmm...the link didn't completely go. Well, if you just blog search for "Sister Inouye and Sister Johnson" then it should come up.

Heidi said...

OKAY! I mean: "Sister Inuoe and Sister Johnson"

sheesh...