Saturday, September 23, 2006

I'm turning into that girl

I never thought I would ever, EVER be that girl. You know--the one who wears flip flops in 40 degree weather and, as a single concession to the cold, dons a thin long-sleeved sort of shirt instead of wearing a proper jacket.

Yeah. I'm that girl now. And I don't think it's a good thing.

For one thing, I was much colder yesterday than I've been in a long time. I was positively shivering! (Well, more like occasionally shaking my shoulders with exclamations of "Brrr!" and "Gosh, it's cold!" (Yes. I said 'gosh.' Just like someone from the 50s. So sue me.))

Plus, with the rather persistent rain yesterday, my feet (scantily shod in flip flops) got rather wet. And kind of muddy. Ew. Plus, I forgot an umbrella, so my carefully coiffed (yeah, right--more like hastily curled) hair fell flat virtually the moment I left my house.

All in all, I'm thinking of giving up flip flops & returning to my sneakers & socks routine, although doing so would constitute a concession I'm not sure I'm ready to make.

You see, I love fall. I really, really do. But, I don't like winter. I really, really don't. Or, at least I do like winter; I just don't like shoveling the driveway & scraping ice off of my car & falling knee deep in snow drifts on my way between my car & work. Blech. No, I don't like it.

And so I am using my own little passive agressive streak against the seasons. By wearing flip flops & too-thin tshirts (albeit longsleeved) I am making a statement, a statement that says "I am refusing to concede that winter & snow & shoveling are all on their way. I say more summer, or at least a longer autumn, by gum, by golly." (Yes, I say 'golly.' Just like someone from the 40s. So sue me.)

And the rest of you say, "That girl (yes, that one) is totally and incomprehensibly delusional."

Well, so be it. I am that girl. That very, very cold girl.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I'm having a hard time giving up my flip-flops too - mainly because (I know it's hard to believe) but they are the most comfortable shoes I own at the moment, and since I put in about 20 miles a day at work, now I'm going to have to invest in some of those really ugly "granny" shoes - the kind that go squish, squoosh, squish when you walk, and that will just make me feel so old!
I really really like fall too...just look on the bright side - it could be one of those years that we don't have very much snow at all...it really could happen!?!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ah, Pat--your endless optimism is encouraging. Perhaps you're right--perhaps there will only be enough snow this year to dust the tops of trees & barely crystalize the grass in our yards & make us feel all festive & jolly.

Or perhaps it'll dump 4 feet in an afternoon. A-sigh. :^) I'll hope for your version of things. And, from what I hear about El Nino, you may be right.

Also, my flip flops are definitely my most comfortable pair of shoes as well. I only wish winter-time high-fashion types of shoes were easy on your feet. Yeesh, people! If you're such smart designers, why don't you make something comfortable???

Anonymous said...

They do make comfy shoes . . . for guys. Sheesh.

If you want to keep wearing flip-flops straight through winter, though, you could always move to SoCal. :) It may not be as nifty as Boston, but you can't beat the weather.