Thursday, September 14, 2006

If Beth can cook...

So can you! (Oh, come on. You knew that was coming.)

Truth be told, I'm pleased as pickles with myself this evening. I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet, so I experimented tonight and produced some veeeeery tasty results. (Mmmm...delicious results...)

So, firstly I threw some sirloin-type steaks into the pan & started them a-cookin', then I tossed some olive oil into another pan, added garlic (and heat) and let that sit (but only briefly). Then, I added in orange & green peppers (which I had handily cut up beforehand) and let those sautee for a spell. (Mmm...delicious sauteeing...)

After the peppers had cooked for a bit (and also after having flipped the steaks a couple of times) I added in some diced tomatos & sprinkled in some basil & oregano. (Mmm...delicious sprinkling...)

I let everything cook a bit longer until the veggies were tender but still slightly firm & the steak was only slightly rare (which is the way I like it, okay people???). Then I sat down to eat, after sampling a pepper (or two) and giving a pepper to my mom to sample too. (Mmm...delicious moms...er...no, I mean: Mmmm....delicious samples...)

And I ATE it! I DID! And it was TASTY!

And I'm still smiling smugly at my sauteeing ability (even though it's hardly anything to crow about) and feeling vaguely empowered. Cooking will do that for you, you know. Ah, yes.

Now for the dishes. DARN.

P.S. I would have included a picture of my minor triumph, but unfortunately, as I mentioned before, it's been et.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds tasty. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

My brother, who worked at steakhouse for a while, says that cooking a steak medium-well ruins the texture and flavor. He's entitled to his opinion, but I'm with Annie.

And General Grant - the man presided over some of the biggest battles in American history, but he always had his meat cooked well-done because he couldn't stand the sight of blood.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I have anything to add..except I DO like steak that moos...but I had to write something because my word verification made me cackle AND chortle. Ugwasbad. Ug was bad.
It must be because I'm sitting here with some salmon in front of me that cooking makes me think of the old days...the smell of salmon baking (Iknow better now--I grill it or broil it)...the smell of wool and vinegar and grape koolaid all steeping together...Kim mesmerizing us as she spun the grape-colored wool. Those were good days. These are too, but my house is lacking in the grape wool department.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ha! Delicious grape Kool-aid wool. Oh, how I miss it. (Actually, I think I miss the mesmerizing spinning wheel even more...) And thanks for upholding my dislike of bloody steaks, gals. I'm glad to know there are more people out there who don't like their meat raw. (Cathy...I guess you can just be the exception. :^))

BTW, I tried another version of this tonight, except I had little cubes of chicken sauteed with the veggies, (and skipped the steak) and I put it all on a plate with fresh romaine lettuce AND...feta cheese! Who knew it would be so good with peppers & chicken etc, etc? Not I! But...er...I guess now I know. Yeah. It was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Be sure to eat lots of gouda.

You might be interested to know that I've graduated from Kool-Aid to Wilton cake dyes - more color availability, and less odor. However, one of these days I may need to whip up more of the Black Cherry wool, for the sake of nostalgia. It might make a good Christmas color, and I hear cherry-scented scarves are coming back into fashion.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yes, but then you have the problem of people trying to suck on their scarves to get that delicious flavor out of them, and a wet scarf, even in California, is...well...unpleasant.

(Heehee. Gouda.)

Anonymous said...

While it can be rather disconcerting (not to mention unsanitary) to have someone sucking on a piece of your apparel, I'm more unnerved that people keep saying I'll have total strangers come up and rub my pregnant tummy as it gets bigger (and supposedly cuter).

I've already determined that if anyone rubs my tummy without permission, I will smile and rub theirs back, just to show them how utterly weird the practice is.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Haha! I likes your style, Kim. :^) Very much indeed.