Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Oooookay... Well, I guess surgery it is.

So, I guess I can stop taking ulcer medication. And those twenty new tshirts bulging out of my dresser won't do me a lick of good (although they will make me look trendy and fashionable). And I guess I can kiss that hot Tahitian man good-bye. (Oho. That phrase sounds kind of funny when paired with hot polynesian men.)

Ahem.

Anyway--to get to the point, (as I rarely do), the problem is in fact my gallbladder. In fact, just to be informative (and a little gross) here's a picture of one that I found while searching the web:

















(Many thanks to: http://health.allrefer.com/health/gallbladder-disease-gallbladder-anatomy.html)

And here it is in context (I always like to see my organs in context):

















(Aaaand many thanks to: http://www.njsurgery.com/html/Diseases/Anatomy%20Lessons.htm)

The gallbladder in the above pic is (obviously) that ugly green thingy next to all those ugly pinkish thingys. (I believe that is the medical terminology for them...)

So, I'll be meeting with a surgeon next Monday to discuss my surgery, which I ardently hope will be the laparoscopic method rather than the cut-you-open-like-a-dead-fish method.

Urg. I'm nervous, guys. I will admit to that. I've never undergone anything approaching major surgery, and while this isn't as major as they come, still, I do believe that I will be fully under anesthetic, and that I will need at least a week to recover. During which I will try on all of my new tshirts at least once.

So, if I start calling all of you to say that, no matter what we've gone through in the past, I'll always love you, and to request that you donate funds to a charitable organization in lieu of flowers, please don't be alarmed. It's just me being nervous. And, well, just a teensy bit scared.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that needs to happen to glue me to your blog is concern for my friend. Imagine--two comments within 24 hours!
I've always felt relieved to know what I'm up against rather than just wondering. Even surgery might be less intimidating than some indistinct spectre of doom hovering on the edge of my field of vision. I hope all goes well for you, Beth. And I'm looking forward to seeing your new t-shirts.
Incidentally, there's a semi-patriotic carillon concert at BYU Weds. at 7 p.m. It's also supposed to include things like show tunes and original compositions. Any takers? It's free--just gather around the bell tower.

Anonymous said...

Beth!!! Just think about all of the fun dreams you'll have while you're doped up! Perhaps you'll be able to sort out your future through a little chat with your subconsious mind. I am afraid for your t-shirts though. When I got my wisdom teeth out (which I know is totally NOT surgery) they gave me some crazy drugs and I wore the same outfit for four days before my mom asked why. I was totally surprised! DON'T FORGET YOUR NEW T-SHIRTS BETH! They could be the key to your happy healing! I am happy that the doctors can stop your pain Beth! You'll be all better soon!

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I go out of town for one little family reunion, and all medical heck breaks loose. I'm glad the doctors were able to give you a solid answer--it's nice to know what's wrong and how to fix it. I hope they'll be able to do the labrador-scopic thing, whatever that is.

We love you, and we'll be praying for you.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Have I ever told you guys how much I love you? I mean really. You are all incredible, and SO nice to me! And, I just want you to know, that no matter what we've been through in the past, I'll always, always love you. *Breaks away sobbing*

No, seriously. I really appreciate all of you giving me such great support. It's nice to know that when I go through weird organ problems, you all are there to say, "Hey! You're going to be OK! And cheese is pretty nummy!"

So thank you. From the bottom of my heart. Er, gallbladder. No, no, it's heart. I'm sure.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

And Cathy, no comments about the word 'nummy!' :^P :^) Hehehee...

Christian said...

Woah--Beth is going under the knife! Sorry I didn't check your blog earlier to find out and wish you luck. The gallbladder can be a pesky little organ. I'm sure the surgery will go just fine, though. Those T-shirts and Tahitians will still be around afterwards.

Speaking of medicine, I'd better get back to studying for the boards. I take 'em next Thursday.

Oh, and I hear that John Cox is back from Iraq, safe and sound.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

If I were given the choice between going under the knife and taking medical boards, I'm sorry, Christian, but I would TOTALLY go for the surgery. Yikeses! Good luck! However, I am sure you will do fantabulously.

And thank goodness John is back! He's always seemed like an exceedingly nice chap. Where's the Cox family living nowadays? Anyone know?