Thursday, June 15, 2006

I bet it's more fun when there's a baby inside.

Well, so I did it. I had my ultrasound. My first one, actually. In fact, the very nice doctor who did the ultrasound asked if I'd ever had one before. He also called me 'kid.' Pretty endearing stuff.

It really wasn't a bad experience, though. I mean, aside from getting over the weirdness of having someone tell me to lift my shirt up, (my apologies if this offends any of you gentle readers--I didn't lift it too far), and having a warmish gelatinous substance smeared all over my belly, and having a doctor rub around this...paddle thingy on me, and having me recoil from it--repeatedly--and after I held my breath so he could take a picture of a particular something-or-other the doctor several times saing to me, "Good!" as if I had just spelled 'loquacious' correctly at a spelling bee (which, by the way, I got right the first time when I double-checked the spelling on m-w.com), and actually making me feel pretty good about myself, because, by golly, I could hold my breath pretty well........

Where was I?

Oh, yes. It was pretty okay. Surreal, yes. Awkward? Well, sure. It's not every day you sit around while someone else cleans the gelatin stuff off of your stomach with a towel. At least, I HOPE that doesn't happen every day. To most people. (Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't it be worse to be the person doing the toweling? He probably does have to do it every day. Poor man.)

So, I guess what I'm saying is that...it was an experience. Definitely. And, I still don't know what's wrong with me. The doctor doing the ultrasound didn't say; he just said that my personal physician and I would have a chat & decide on what to do next. Which makes me think there may have been something there. But, he didn't seem too concerned. But that could just be his professional detachment speaking.

Faugh. In any case, I won't actually know the results until Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Which means, of course, that I'll be concentrating on producing as many possible gallbladder-or-maybe-gastric-ulcer-healing thoughts as possible. It's the Think System. I know it works on small-town bands, so surely, SURELY it will work on human organs. Right?

9 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, come on. The shirt comment wasn't THAT offensive...was it? Guys?

Guys?

*Sound of wind blowing through a vast, cavernous space*

Becca said...

I don't know, Beth, ultrasounds can be kind of iffy and doctors can be wrong. If I were you, I'd go buy a few new tshirts just in case your pain really has been caused by option #3.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Becca. Perhaps you should consider options #4 and #5 as well. These maladies are of course cured by new sandles and new shorts. Some say long trips to an island paradise help even more that t-shirts...especially if you take a friend...named Pam...and buy her new sandals! Well, at least it couldn't make it worse?!?! PLUS: If we're actually IN Tahiti we could find TWO hot Tahitians. I am not at all opposed to alternative medicine.

Anonymous said...

Hey...speaking of flip flops...Talk radio this morning was all abuz about a local school district that is banning flip flops. The radio guys suggested that a higher priority might be banning the exposing of butt-cracks (the result of excessively baggy pants). Anyway, the students have protested saying that "flip flops represent freedom" and they're not going to let the school take away their freedom, blah blah blah. The school wants to ban them because of the supposedly high number of flip flop wearers tripping in the hall. So you're not the only one that can't run in flip flops. Federal Way School District has it all very well documented.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yaaaaay! I totally agree with you! And, just to prove my point, I'll run out tomorrow & get new tshirts right away! And new shorts! And new sandals! And a trip to Tahiti! With Pam! Becca, do you and your new hubby want to come too? Any other takers while I'm buying tickets? (Savings shmavings!)

All I have to do is...get over this...rather persistent nausea I've been experiencing... blechyblechyblech. Maybe...maybe next week. *Hovers anxiously near the bathroom for awhile...* :^P

Gosh. Ultrasounds, nausea, trips to Tahiti... If I didn't know any better, I'd say I was pregnant. (But I DO know better, luckily enough. REALLY.)

Anonymous said...

Due to the usual time lag in my reading and replying to your posts, it's already Tuesday. I hope things go well today...or tomorrow--whenever you find out.
I wish I'd read this before because then I could have invited you to come up to Provo for the free Polynesian Festival at the Tahitian Noni headquarters here in Riverwoods. I understand that it was going to be a big to-do with dancers, food, and (you guessed it from the name of the Fest) Free Polynesians!!
I didn't go, myself. I was too busy making last minute preparations for Morgan's birthday (he was two on Sunday) and panicking when discovering that I was unexpectedly out of diapers and whole milk, the staples of his two ends' existence. No free Polynesian fest for me. AND Ed and I missed Llamafest. Again. But Becca, they liked your choice of a wedding day enough that they celebrated with you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Bethy...I hope they find the source of your ills and come up with a brilliant plan to fix you up. I don't want you to be sick for your first date with our Tahitian boyfriends. I guess it might get us sympathy points...but that's totally not worth being sick.

Anonymous said...

In response to your title, it IS more fun with a baby inside, but it's still pretty weird. And, dang it, that gel is COLD!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Actually, strangely enough (and luckily enough) the gel that was smothered on my belly was actually tepid, so it wasn't all that unpleasant. At least, that aspect of it all. :^)