Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Let's synchronize our watches

I'm terribly embarrassed to admit it, but it took me ages to learn what 'synchronize our watches' meant. I was such a lazy child--whenever I heard the phrase in a movie or on a tv show (I rarely heard it used in real life) I always wondered what it meant, and then promptly forgot to look it up as I was swept into the derring-do heroism of Mighty Mouse or the vaguely humorus but mostly silly 'Full House.'

But now I know that to synchronize your watches means to set them so that they all read exactly the same time at...er...exactly the same time. So, when my watch says 6:13pm, your watch will say 6:13pm too! (It's kind of like 'best friends' bracelets, but less cutesy.)

Synchronizing your watches means that you won't be waiting around 10 minutes for a friend whose watch is abominably slow. (Or, maybe your watch is fast. Who's to say?) It means that when I say, "Let's meet at 8:42am!" We'll bump into each other in front of that one family statue at exactly 8:42am, not one minute before or after. It means promptness, and certitude. And, like, not lackadaisicalness.

So, friends, let's synchronize our watches. On my mark, it will be exactly 22:15 (that's military hours, yo) on June 27th. And, I will be going in for surgery on Friday, July 7th at approximately 8ish. Maybe 9. Actually, I don't have any specific time, so I guess it's all moot anyway. But let's synchronize our watches anyway, just to be on the safe side. And to be, like, extremely cool.

Okay.....

Wait for it....................................................







Mark.

***Edit: Okay, so I just noticed that the time there, right below, in the green, says 8:55pm. I have no idea what's wrong with the Blogger computers, but seriously, that is soooooo not the right time. I mean, it's not even the right minute! It's the wrong minute AND the wrong hour! Now that's just DANG wrong! Y'hear?!? DAAAANG WRONG! Yeah. So, I'm not crazy. Nope.***

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you don't watch spy movies very often...they always have to synchronize their watches. "Jump through the window at 23:11.42 and then I'll blow it up at 23:11.45." No room for error. Luckily real life isn't like that. Unless you're a spy.

So the date is set! Good luck Beth! Even though I forgot my watch today, my thoughts will be with you starting at 7:30 (just to be sure!)

Anonymous said...

What if I live an hour behind you? If I set my watch to tell the same time as yours, I'll get to work a whole stinkin' hour early! The horror, the horror!

To further complicate matters, I don't have a watch any more. When I want to know the time, I check my cell phone. How, pray tell, does one synchronize a cell phone?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ooooohhhhh....

*Face falls*

I...don't really know how to synchronize cell phones, and...I'm not quite sure how to deal with the time zone issue. Um...well, I guess we could synchronize the minutes? Or, maybe...urg. I dunno. I guess, just...um...Hey, it's evening for you right now, isn't it? So, let's synchronize time of day. Yeah. That'll work.

Anonymous said...

I admit to having no watch AND no cell phone. I just look at the posted times on banks and stores (which also tell me temperature with some degree of accuracy...varying as much as ten degrees in a one-block radius) or go by clocks in my home, which may differ as much as ten minutes, depending on which room I'm in. and I'm pretty punctual still! I used to think that I was always five minutes late to the doctor's office but I've recently found out that the clock in their front office is five minutes faster than their clock in the rear working area. Maybe they don't know what it means to synchronize either.