Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What the Devil are you all doing here?

I mean, don't you have anything urgent to attend to? Like having dinner, or writing to senators about increasing government spending in schools, or trimming your toenails or something? I mean, here I sit, typ-a-typ typing on my laptop, (okay--so the 'typ-a-typ' was mostly cheesy), trying to think of things to type about, and I'm not coming up with extremely interesting topics, lemme tell you.

Oh! Except that I got called to be secretary in the Primary Presidency in my ward. Whoooo-eeee. We had our first presidency meeting today, and, I was...erm...very lost. Actually, I was more lost than a...than a glove. That's been lost for a long time. Yeah. I was that lost.

It wasn't really all that bad--the other members of the presidency were extremely friendly, and I know them all at least relatively well, so I felt pretty comfortable with them. Except, they've all been in the calling for awhile, and so have a pretty good idea of what's going on, so they were discussing things at a rapid-fire pace, and it was...marginally difficult for me to keep up with what they were talking about. Phew! I barely remember the last names of the people in our ward! Now I have to learn their first names, and the names & ages of all of their children, and also I have to learn how scouting works, and also how often the girls have activity days, and also how you do sharing time, and how to conduct opening exercises, and also how many paper flowers you can fit on the Primary bulletin board at once.

There's a lot to learn.

And, I've already made some mistakes. Like, when I tried to accost the Reverence Children to get the "Reverence Child" banners back after opening exercises, not realizing that they had the privilege of being Reverence Children all through Sharing Time, and through all of their classes. That poor 10-year-old girl! I came up and said, "Do you want to give me the banner back now?" And she very politely kind of bowed her head and said, "No thank you." I was flabbergasted. And panicked! How would I get that "Reverence Child" banner back?!? And then, I thought, "Duh. They keep it through sharing time, you dolt." Yes. I called myself a dolt. And still do, to this day.

But I digress. I have a lot to learn. And I mean a LOT. I have to remember how to interact with children who are not my relatives. While I feel relatively comfortable with children, still there's a bit of an uncertainty that exists when dealing with children who are not your own. (Nor your sister's own.) So, there's that too.

Omyland. I'm scared. A little nerve-racked. And...um...my toes are cold. Which always bodes ill for anyone.

And, I guess I found something to talk about after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband Phillip and I were called to teach Sunbeams about six months ago. Can you believe a woman who intended to teach college was having panic attacks about preparing lessons for four-year-olds? Yet so it was.

The Lord helps you, and you get the hang of it as you go along. You'll do great, Beth. For my part, I've come to feel strongly that this calling is just what I needed right now. The Lord's pretty good about knowing that. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I just got called to be the "Education Counselor" in the Relief Society. I was too embarrased to ask "which counselor is that?" so I still don't know. The last time I was in the Relief Society presidency was in Krakow. But there were only 10 ladies in our branch, so it wasn't so complex. My main job was to organize visiting teaching for the first time. So, what the heck am I supposed to do now? I've been in primary so long I hope I don't start putting people in timeout for talking too much. You wanna trade me spots? Just kidding.

I love primary. You get to color and sing songs and take walks and there is still hope for the world there. With adults, we're too late. Kids love you Beth. You'll be great!

Anonymous said...

I too am a Sunbeam teacher. And previously, I taught six seven year old boys. I miss that class--though they still give hugs sometime.
When am I going to learn to laugh when a Sunbeam lesson about the Holy Ghost diverges into a discussion (in three-year-old speech) of Halloween and candy? I'm still in the groaning stage.
It is easier to teach one's own children. Sometimes I feel that not-quite-two-years-old Morgan understands me better than the Sunbeams. Scratch out sometimes. He does.
He also just learned how to say no. I think I need Beth to attest to what a charmer he is so I don't sound like an addlepated mom when I say that he's charming even while saying no. (Fatuous grin).
The last time I filled out a form that wanted to know my occupation, I put supermom. Seriously. I'm pretty happy currently with my job.(Although I read with envy of counting carpet fibers and ceiling dots. Oh, to sit still that long!)
Morgan is sleeping, and I too should rest. For I have a bun in the oven that sappeth my strength and roileth my tummy (this also led to my writing supermom), and it roileth my tummy more when I am not well-rested.
Said bun is supposed to cook until November.
We are very happy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Supermom!!!

Anonymous said...

Ditto. :)

And I feel your pain about Sunbeams' tangential tendencies. When I started this calling, I assumed that pictures and stories would be captivating to 3-year-olds. Not so. No matter how fascinating I think a story should be, I am invariably interrupted by comments about what somebody's big brother did to them last week, or by Michael's latest dreams about monsters (he's the hero, not the victim, in case you're wondering).

I am learning to listen with wide-eyed, respectful attention, then at the first opportunity break in and redirect the conversation to poor Noah who's still trying to get all those frisky animals on the ark.

Incidentally, Supermom, I think you've been blessed with a superson. It seems like Morgan is a perceptive and (relatively) mature little guy. His younger sibling will have a lot to live up to.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yaaay! I'm so glad that all of you are experienced in primary and can offer me valuable advice about what the heck I should be doing. :^) And oh, Pam! I wish I could tell you what an "Education Counselor" is. Is it 2nd? Or 1st? Or 37th? Alas. I am clueless.

And Cathy, congrats again on your peanut! DUDE--I SERIOUSLY need to come over and see you. Like, soon. I hope your bun cooks well. And yes, I will verify that Morgan is indeed a charmer. One can hardly watch anything else if he is in the room! If you think it's bad now, just wait until he's 23!

Yes. Yes. And, you're all wonderful for commenting on my pitiful little blog. :^) Thankums. :^D

Becca said...

Wahoo! Congratulations, Cathy! How exciting for you. Pam, the education counselor is the first counselor as far as I can remember. And Beth, you will be great. I wish I had some advice for you for dealing with primary children. I guess junior high students are the closest I can come, so here's a quote that has helped me stay sane while attempting to teach the "hope of the future" as you once called them:
"You will make all kinds of mistakes; but as long as you are generous and true and also fierce you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her." --Winston Churchill.

Anonymous said...

Good quote--both inspiring and comforting. Sound advice for world leaders, primary secretaries, and future parents.