Friday, April 14, 2006

And Now I'm Terrified

So, yeah. I'm feeling a bit nervous at the moment. Weak at the knees, hands trembling, toes cold, you know the routine. I just want the answer to one question: Why in the WORLD do I react like this to things that are a little intimidating? Why am I so terrified that, instead of doing the thing I'm supposed to be doing, I'm sitting here, plugged into an outlet, typing on my laptop (which is working now, by the way), posting to my blog that I'm terrified?

Interacting with people sometimes makes me nervous. And while that's a bit of an understatement, it's nevertheless quite true. So, I've taken the day off of work, and I've come to BYU to search out some people who might be willing to write letters of recommendation for me. Really and truly, I'm going to do this today. (And, as any of you who have talked to me in the past about this will know, it has taken me a long time (really long time) to get to this point.) But, while it's easy enough to take a day off work, drive to BYU, park in Visitor's Parking (it's own little spot of terror--what if they think I'm lying when I say I'm not a student?!?), and walk over to the library, it's much much harder to move from where I am on the 4th floor over to the spot where I need to be--the Juv Lit Department.

So, any of you who may pop on within the next few minutes or so, (and those who pop on later can do this retroactively), please say a quick prayer for me. So that I can be brave. And not stupid. Thanks.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

......amen.

Go get 'em Bethy! You should totally not be afraid! They probably loved working with you so much that they wrote your glowing, marvelous, letter of reference even before you stopped working there! Like how the newspaper writes obituaries for famous people long before they die and keep it on file for future reference. Hmmm...maybe a funny comparison, but everyone loves to write nice things about people they love, and you are certainly one of those people!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Pam, if only YOU could write one of my letters of recommendation! I'd be SURE to get in--you're so nice to me. *Grins*

Well, your prayers (both before & after my little ordeal) worked. Kind of. I DID get the courage to go up to see me old library boss, but unfortunately, she wasn't in. Sigh. I REALLY should've contacted her before-hand, but I was too scared to do that too! :^) But, I had a nice chat with one of the gals who works there, (who incidentally also used to be in one of my BYU wards), and surprisingly, it helped me to reconnect to my BYU roots. :^) I feel more confident now, and a bit more in-touch with what I'm doing. AND, I'm going to write my old boss an email right now! :^)

Anonymous said...

You go, girl.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! So, I could call you at work with some sort of problem like "I don't have enough money to pay for all the stuff I bought on your website" and you could fix my problem by saying "for you...its FREE!" and then I could write you a glowing recommendation as an excellent employee that served and helped me (the public). I think its a good plan. I'll call you today! ;)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

*Laughs really, REALLY hard* Oh, wait! Pam...Um...I'm not sure I can...do that... Ohhhhhhhhhhh.....I think she's gone. I'll just have to be a bad little customer service rep, and say the dreaded word.... "NO."

Anonymous said...

I don't know--Pam's idea sounds pretty good to me. If you need a second recommendation, I'd be happy to help you out. :)

In the meantime, have you heard back from your boss yet?

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with giving me money, or free scrapbooking stuff...not that I'd mind either one. No, but its really funny. If you click on your "profile" from the main page and then click on "bad poetry" (listed as one of your interest) something interesting happenes. Rather than give a little sampling of some of your bad poetry, it provides the lists of interests of everyone that has a blog on this site that also said one of thier interests is bad poetry. It totally took me by surprise. Especially since the first result said they liked Voodoo and black magic. Yeah...not exactly what I had in mind. I'm sure your poetry is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better that that guy's!!! Why don't you post some poetry on here for me? Here's mine:
Roses are red, violets are blue, that voodoo guys scares me,
how about you?

Anonymous said...

Not only did that last message contain bad poetry, but bad spelling as well. Oopps!

Anonymous said...

The gal after the voodoo person likes bellydancing. THAT could be interesting. Maybe we should start a club. I nominate Christian for president.

Anonymous said...

I second the motion.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Are there any other nominations? Christian, would you feel comfortable being the president of a club for bellydancing? (Or was it voodoo...or bad poetry?)

If only I had a way to do a poll...I'd post one here, and we could all pretend to be adults and vote. Wouldn't that be fun?!? *Grins in only a slightly maniacal manner, but why, I have no clue.*

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oooh! Pretty! My picture shows up on comments too! :^D