Thursday, March 20, 2008

How did I get so darn lucky?


You. You people. You people are the coolest people ever.

And one of you in particular (although you ALL are cool, really) is particularly cool right now.

To that person, I heartily say, "Well, blow me timbers! Thar be The Good Ship Bookend in the flesh! Er, wood. In the wood. On me shelf! Arr. It be good to see her there."

Also, "Thankee."

Also, "Good grief! That's holy amazing that you found that thing and WOW!" But, I don't know how to put that into pirate speak. Maybe it would be something close to "Yaargh!" I'm not really sure.

Also (to all you readers) I'm so sorry I haven't been posting much. I've just been hecka busy with school (even now I'm thinking, "I'm sure there's something I should be doing. There's always something. What the heck is it?!?) and assorted mundanities, which both leaves me less time for blogging, and a mind that is less occupied with thinking up blog topics and more occupied with trying to figure out which books I should toss out (theoretically, of course) for my collection development assignment and what I can say for a booktalk and when I can squeeze in the readings for cataloging that I've been neglecting lately.

But, I must tell you, I saw this charming thing on the T this evening. I was riding up to Harvard Square to meet a classmate to finish up a group project. On the seats just in front of me sat a young man (twentysomething) and a woman who looked to be in her late forties or early fifties who was, I'm guessing, his mom. I noticed the young man, of course, because he was excessively good looking. But I also noticed that they seemed to be having this really charming conversation where they'd laugh, and he'd kind of lean in and intentionally bump shoulders (his right, her left) with her a couple of times. I love that whole bumping shoulders business. It's a way of showing affection without getting too out of control--of a desire for contact, brief and rather humorous. I like it a lot.

And I wish all of you were here right now so I could talk and laugh with you and bump shoulders. Just a little bit.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

Remember the part in Napoleon Dynamite when Uncle Rico is selling the Tupperware stuff, and says he'll throw in the model sailboat if they buy the package, and the lady whispers to her husband, "I want that" when she sees the sailboat, and it's funny?

Yeah.

Joanna said...

And pretend that we're both chuckling right now about how it's funny.

*bumps shoulder*

Becca said...

Arrr! Arrr! You be the pirate queen!

Debbie Barr said...

*long distance shoulder bump*

I love you.

Mama M said...

I like that these beautiful bookends hold books in place, but that when you turn the other direction they invite you to sail away with them to the far ends of reality and unreality, to all the wonderful and exotic and mundane and safe and dangerous and exiting and wise and comforting places that books can take you.

Wait for me. I'll just be a minute packing my bag!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

That bookend is just plain awesome.

And this is a somewhat belated comment, but you're right - Riker looked much better with the beard. Can't see my skinny sweetie with one, though. Imagine President Eyring with a beard. Yeah - it wouldn't work.

*shoulder bump* ^_^

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wow. I don't think I've ever had this many virtual shoulder bumps in my life.

Thanks.

Bumpin' back atcha.

(Also, yes, Jo. That part is blasted hilarious! I need to watch me some of that movie again.

Also, Becca, you know it, girl! (Which, now that I think about it, is not something the pirate queen would be likely to say...)

Also, Mom, you're totally right. I'm so glad I'll be a librarian.)