Saturday, November 04, 2006

Ripping ABBA and The Redeemer and avoiding novel-writing

Hello, all.

I just wanted to tell you that you are all cool. And that sitting here on my bed typing in my blog in the half-dark (because it's cloudy today here in Utah) I kind of miss you all. Because you are cool. And because I currently feel...a little separated from you all. I guess.

Um.

And also, I'm currently transferring more of my (rather eclectic) CD collection onto my laptop so I can more easily listen to music while I type up nonsense for my NaNoWriMo novel. I've just finished ABBA and The Redeemer (an oratorio written by former Mormon Tabernacle organist and LDS composer extraordinare Robert Cundick) and now I'm moving on to the MoTab CD Consider the Lilies and then I'll do Elgar's Enigma Variations. (Mmm. Delicious Elgar... Oh. Er...wait...)

Novel-writing is actually going swimmingly so far, and I've surprised myself by being exactly on schedule. Apparently if you write 1667 words per day you'll just make the 50,000 word mark by the end of the month. So far, I've got 5412, which is just about right on for the first three days of the month. (Of course, I haven't written anything today, but I'm sure I'll get up where I should be. After all, it takes 3 days of doing something to form a habit, right? Right???)

Speaking of habits, I've also surprised myself recently for the last two months by getting up early enough in the morning to give myself roughly an hour of exercise time. (In case you were wondering, I DID exercise that day I slept in--I just exercised rather late in the day.) As a consequence of that (and other little changes like eating NO sugary stuff & consuming more veggies (veggies now quiver in fear at the sight of me, the great veggie predator)) I've now gone down one pant size (hooray!) and only have (mumble mumble) more to go until I'm...there. You know. THERE. Where the beguilingly beautiful women hang out. (I think it's some sort of nightclub, with a blue neon sign above the door that says "The Lovely Lounge," or maybe it's "The Lovely Lozenge." Yes, that's it. In fact, I'm quite sure of it.)

I guess I didn't really need to tell you all that, because it's not really all that important, (except that it's nice to snuggle into pants that aren't quite as large as they used to be, and it's nice to be using holes in my belt that have never been used before), but I thought that since I recently spent a post ranting about how miserably dumb I can be, I ought to post a minor accomplishment as well.

So, I guess I ought to get down to business & actually accomplish something today besides posting to my blog & ripping CDs and making Primary phone calls and reading a third of Princess Academy for the book-club meeting on Tuesday and...HOLY COW! Missing a very important message from Cathy!

Sorry folks--gotta go!

(P.S. It's a GOOD message, so no worries!)

***Edit: Okay! Just got off the phone with Cathy, and she authorized me to tell you that they have a new baby daughter who was born yesterday at about 3pm-ish! Her name is Gwyneth Schaller, although I forgot to check the spelling, and I also forgot to check & see if she has a middle name, so I'll have to adjust this info later. Also, you might be interested to know that she weighs 8lbs, 4oz and that she's 21 and 3/4 inches long. For more info, I'm sure you could call the Schallers sometime, and they likely wouldn't mind. Not even a bit.***

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pant-size thing. You rock!

Seriously, I admire people with the discipline to exercise consistently. I keep thinking I really need to get out and move around some more, but lately the only exercise I get on a regular basis is my 3-minute morning jog to catch the train I'm always late for.

I have grand plans about taking morning walks after I "retire" from my job, so we'll see if I follow through. At any rate, I can expect to develop some fabulous biceps from lifting Baby Girl all the time.

Out of curiosity, what kind of exercise do you do?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Weeeeelll... I sometimes go walking (in meadows of clover--hehe--just kidding) around my town, which has nicely steep inclines that I can use when I need to up my heart rate.

However, more often I do these kind of made-up aerobic dance type moves in my room. In the dark. With the door locked.

I just kind of bounce around on me feet & move my arms around and hope it does some good. Since I used to do 'Aerobikids...' (or whatever it was called) when I was younger, I think I've got some good moves down. I hope.

I usually get up around 6:15 and start exercising at 6:30 with a 5-minute warm-up period. Then I really get rocking to Coldplay or Vertical Horizon or even Frank Sinatra and go hard for about 50 minutes, then I cool down for 5 more & finish up at 7:30.

Although it's hard to wake up in the dark, and even harder (OH so hard) to leave my bed, my warm, warm, lovely bed, still, I'm pretty certain that I'll keep this going for many moons more.

Anonymous said...

Nice job my skinny friend!!! I too enjoy the random flailing around the room. I taught water aerobics for a few years so I throw in some of that and add some ballet, polynesian dance, yoga, and some funny BYU dance moves and basically look like an idiot. But its fun right?! I highly recommend the polynesian dance for working your bottom and your thighs and your abs...oh pain. Congrats again on your success and on your fun novel beginnings!

Anonymous said...

I do the random flailing thing, too. Didn't know it was such a popular thing. It's funny how it tends to be a combination of all the dance/exercise moves you've ever learned. Mine end up being some weird hybrid of my BYU Irish dance class, the Tai Chi form I once learned and a little cha cha from Social Dance. Some polynesian moves might be a nice addition, though.