Thursday, November 23, 2006

For one thing we give thanks above all

I must admit--I can be a bit of a scrooge. I'm the one who winces when coworkers break out their Christmas music CDs the day after Halloween, the one who glares at the Christmas decorations that appear on store shelves right next to the swimsuits and beach balls.

Fortunately, by the time Thanksgiving rolls around I'm usually resigned to the idea of the Christmas Holiday Season finally being here, as well as a bit ashamed of my reluctance to enter into the spirit of said season. That was the way I felt today, or rather last night if you want to be particular.

And I suddenly realized what a serendipitous thing it is that the holiday of Thanksgiving is just a month before Christmas. It's Thanksgiving that makes us remember that all good things come from God, from the turkey & jello salad to the birth of a new nephew into the family. Then, just as the holiday closes, we're rushed right into another even busier, hectic holiday season. But this holiday is the celebration of a life for which we should give the greatest thanks of all.

On this Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for my family and for all the wonderful, delicious food which is, even now, bulging my stomach out to indecent proportions.

But most of all I'm thankful that God did choose to send His Only Begotten Son, and that the Son perfectly obeyed the will of His Father in all things, both setting an immaculate example for us to follow and freeing us from being trapped forever by our own stupid, persistent errors.

I'm finally grateful for the Christmas season. I'm finally being a little more grateful for Christ.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for this one friend!
I've been struggling with some serious issues in my family, and feeling that I have to "save" a few of them, plus attone for a few misdeeds of my own...after a long chat with my RS pres. the other night, she reminded me that this is not my job - someone has already done that for me!...so for this I also give thanks (and hope that I can keep from screwing things up any more from here on out - ah, there's the rub!)
...oh, and sorry - I'm one of those who loves the Christmas music at work (although I didn't enjoy it much on Halloween!)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

For you, Pat, I would allow Christmas music on every day of the year. (But only for you, mind.) ;^)