Friday, October 09, 2009

Leaking

I seem to be having trouble with water lately.

I spill it, inhale it, and otherwise do things with it that were not ever meant to be done by a human being. Ever.

Like that time when, using the convenient in-door dispenser on our refrigerator, I held my cup in long enough to do a scale model recreation of Yosemite Falls, soaking my hand, my shirt, and temporarily resurrecting Lake Bonneville.

Or when I attempted to swallow a bit of that saliva that accumulates in the mouth (come on now--let's not pretend that gross things don't exist, or that you don't do them) and decided to inhale rather than wisely blocking the passage to my windpipe (kind of like when you breathe in right before biting into a donut covered in powdered sugar and wind up curled up on the floor having spasms for half an hour) thus possibly resulting in the cough I've had for the past two weeks.

Or just now, when, bringing my cup (a different cup, for we have many) to my lips, instead of pouring fresh quaffs of delightfully chill'd water into my parch'd throat, I instead poured said delightfully freezing water down my front, resulting in a sodden mess, from which I was somehow able to squeeze more liquid than had actually been contained in my cup at the time of spillage. (The laws of physics do not apply in situations like these.)

I know I am not the world's most graceful person. I do not do graceful things like ballet dancing (although my niece somehow seems to have The Gift for it), or moving through a room like a whisper from a butterfly, or balancing stacks of books on my head (instead I read them, people). But I still cannot quite believe how clumsy I seem to be.

And how very, VERY dangerous water has become.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

This description sounds disturbingly familiar. I blame my problems on the family curse, and you should do the same.

Cathy said...

Can't get through a day without water spillage at our house. Sometimes it happens four or five times. Your problems sound relatively minor. And, as I keep telling Gwyn when she finds it necessary to weep over being wet, "it will dry."

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Could be worse - you could have a bad habit of spilling hydrochloric acid.

I don't personally know anyone who has that habit, but I'm sure it would be bad.

Wookface said...

I don't know if butterflies whisper, but I caught a bunch of moths over the weekend! That's fun, right? If they start whispering, I will let you know.

Mama M said...

You get that from me.

Horsley News said...

The Barney curse has hit another gerneration. So sorry.
Aunt Susan

Adrienne said...

does the family curse extend to me? because that everything you mentioned happens to me... often.