Monday, October 12, 2009

Eureka!

I've had a breakthrough.

A brainy, genius, overwhelmingly intelligent bit of an idea that will, I am sure, solve all of my problems.

Or. Well, not.

But it's not a bad idea. And I'm pretty darn sure it'll work for me.

It all started with last night, when I had an in-depth conversation with my lovely sis, in which she encouraged me to tackle the things about my life that are bothering me (like, say, sleeping in until an hour or so before late-night TV starts). She's a good older sis, folks.

Anyway--the problem was that I tend to be resistant to talks like that. Or suggestions like that. As in: picture a mule the size of a dumpster truck, who is leaning against its lead rope and also sitting in mud up to its haunches. That is me.

So I had to figure out a way to trick my mule-self into actually doing something productive. And I came up with this visualization that just CLICKED, man.

Here it is (to-do list items have been altered to protect the not-so-innocent, i.e. me):


Okay. Awesome, right?!? (Er, you should be able to click the image to get a bigger version so you can read what I wrote & stuff.)

So, this is my Shelf o' Priorities, or stuff I feel I want to improve or accomplish. It can be as specific as a task I want to do (such as getting a dog) or a general self-improvement goal, such as smiling at more babies. The size roughly translates to how important I think something is. Items on the lower shelf are ones I feel prepared to deal with/tackle right now (thus they are more accessible). The items on the upper shelf are things I know I want to improve or do, but don't feel quite ready to deal with yet. The cloudy thing is an overarching goal that I want to work on continually while doing everything else.

This visualization seems like an especially good tool for me, simply because I tend to feel overwhelmed awfully quickly when I start an internal list of all the things I want to change about myself. I get so overwhelmed, in fact, that I pretty much can't do anything except lie on my bed with a cold compress and think of better days. Or possibly play video games.

But this way, I can keep track of things I want to do or change without feeling like I have to do everything right now. For instance, I know I'll want to stop playing with stuffed animals sometime in the future, but right now I'm going to let it stay on the shelf. It's still there so I won't forget about it, but I don't have to take it down until I'm fully ready.

Also, I'm only allowed to take maybe two or three things off the shelf at a time, tops.

Once I've got some of the bottom items under control, I'll move stuff from the top shelf onto the lower shelf, making room for other goals on top, or ideas for future improvement.

Anyway. This was kind of a breakthrough for me, so I wanted to share. In case it might help any of you.

Oooh! Maybe I should put up a square that says, "Become Motivational Speaker." Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's a goal I could live with.

7 comments:

azrobisons said...

oo oo oo Beth! I had a breakthrough myself in the shower this morning for you! I know that sounds really weird, but here it is. Remember when I told you that you should write a children's book with, perhaps dragons, pirates, and a princess in it. Well, then my breakthrough thought was that you should also not only write a book, but illustrate it too. You are a fantabulous artist!!!! I still have at least 2 or 3 pics you drew and gave me in highschool. I know one is a dragon and one is a portrait. Anyway, just think "Written and Illustrated by Elizabeth Meyers". Oooooh that sounds good huh? I get fun little chills just thinking about it. The good kind that make you all excited. You could so seriously do this! O.k. I'll stop now. But remember I love ya' and we'll chat soon. Love, Kellie

Kim said...

I LOVE IT!!! That's totally how I feel. It's so overwhelming to look at the entire library of possibilities of things I need to improve. This is so much more doable.
Thanks!
And you should totally become a motivational speaker. Totally. :)

Papa said...

This reminds me of an article I read years ago in Reader's Digest about the 7 ways that children learn (only about 3 of which they actually use in schools). For some people, lists of things are really great, and they love checking items off their lists. For you, being a librarian and all, visualizing that list on bookshelves seems very appropriate. So, go for it!

Love--Papa

Mama M said...

Maybe you can help me dust off the stuff on my shelf, too. You are, after all, several inches taller than I am.

Have I told you today that I love you?

The Hurst Family said...

Great graphic organizer. Your brain looks so tidy in shelf form.I think joining my facebook book lovers group should be on the bottom shelf because I'd love to have your input on what is great to read. Love you. RaeAnn

Becky said...

I'm a visual learner, too. So I totally love this idea! I go through phases with lists. But more often than not, I end up with lists that somehow only get longer instead of shorter. :( Vince is a great list-maker. I think it's b/c he's a man. He's very good at doing that ONE thing until he's done and can check it off. I like to do little pieces of EVERYTHING and thus never check anything off! So this is a good idea for me too.

Oh, and I really like Kellie's idea about the children's book writer. It really seems like the perfect profession for you! We should go watch Miss Potter again. You seem so much like Miss Potter! (And btw, she liked to play with pretend animals too, and was none the worse for it!)

And lastly, I'm more than happy to provide a baby for you to smile and play with. Just say the word, and I'll be there in 5 minutes! ;0) Love you!

Palomita said...

Aw, Beth - I love you, too, and I think you're really super awesome AND amazing. I love your bookshelf concept, and I like that you say you'll limit yourself to 2-3 things at one time. I'm going to be honest - lots of times I can only handle 1 big project on myself. Sometimes I can handle two, but usually only one. And, here's one of my all-time most favorite quotes "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed,
but that our power to do is increased” - Ralph Waldo Emerson. I have faith in you, Beth. Love, Mary