Thursday, December 21, 2006

So--wait--what's wrong with feet?

Okay, people. We are going to get at the root of something here. We're digging deep! We're dredging up stuff that has lain undredged for aeons!

I want to know exactly who decided that feet were ugly. I mean, was it during the Victorian era when pretty much everything below your neck was considered indecent? (And sometimes below your eyebrows?) Was it during the Roman Empire when that prevalent sandal-wearing caused unsightly calluses and really gross accumulation of gunk on said feet? Was it last Thursday when someone posted on her blog, "Ew! Feet are gross," a post which has more or less been altered by me in significant ways? (Inasmuch as no one ever posted it that I know of but I DO know a lot of people actually think this way and I really can't understand why?)

Yes.

I'm sure it's all three.

However, I find that I must take a different road. To me, feet are not ugly. To me, feet are quite nice little things, actually. They arch so agreeably in that inside space between the pad and the heel; they have such interesting ligaments on top; they're tough and leathery on the bottom and smooth and delicate above. And heck--don't even get me started about how much I love toes. (Yay! Toes are great!)

So to all of you people out there who think that our legs would do much better with just a stump at the end, or for all of those out there who insist that feet must be covered up every waking minute lest we all become flooded with inappropriate thoughts about each other, and to those nay-sayers who say, "Nay, feet! Nay!" I say:

"Walk on, feet. Be proud in your feetitude. Be bold, be step-worthy, and above all, be bare."

6 comments:

Joanna said...

I must admit, every time I think about feet, I think about the wart I have on the bottom of my foot and think "Ew, gross" not about the foot itself, but about the wart. The first date-like event that Jacob and I had after his mission I went to his house and sat on the floor looking at his mission pictures. He'd only been home about three days, so it was too soon for him to hold my hand, but he did kind of hold my foot, touched my toes and stuff. It sounds weird, but at the time I thought "Oh, how sweet, he's touching my foot!" Then immediately afterward thought "Oh, no! What if he touches my wart?"

I know. TMI.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Okay. So maybe the wart would raise the foot grossness quotient just a little.

However, I do agree. It's sweet that he held your foot. A little strange, but sweet. :^)

(And THANKS for posting, Jo! :^D)

Anonymous said...

Baby feet are particularly cute. A cursory inspection of the feet of my daughter Joy Ruth (born 12/12, 7 lbs 9 oz) is enough to convince even the most determined naysayer.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, KIM! :^D

Congratulations on the birth of your little one! And Joy Ruth is a wonderful name. (And that middle 'Ruth' does sound vaguely familiar... ;^))

I'm so glad she's here. I think we all enjoy babies more once they're out in the air with us. I'm sure you're enjoying your daughter very much. :^)

Pat said...

Foot beauty is a fleeting thing... these days I sit around and reminice about the said arches that I once posessed - ah, such lovely arches - oh, how I miss them! But these feet 'o mine still carry me wherever I need to go, and for that I am greatful.
...and Hey! Where did you find grass?
There's only snow here in my world!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, the grass exists somewhere in the distant past when the color green still burst out in vibrant patches on earth.

Alas--'tis no more.