Tuesday, December 19, 2006

In everything I don't say is where I live my life

I've been thinking today about the creation of things, how the act of creating moves something from one of hundreds of thousands (or millions) of possibilities into the one thing that is. When I post here, I usually come with some idea of what I want to talk about, whether it be nephews or books or getting stuck in the snow. I taste sentences in my head like someone at an ice cream counter, sampling this flavor or that before I find one that sticks.

Then, when I sit down to write it, it shapes itself into something entirely different, going from chocolate to strawberry to oreo mint, when I had originally intended something more like peanut butter cup.

So even when I intend to write about something, I often end up with something completely different.

And then there are the things that get left out because I don't want to write about them, things like staring into the mirror for fifteen minutes trying to penetrate my own mind on the double fronts of the exterior and interior barriers I've put up against myself, trying to see past my own eyes and find out at last what this creature whose reflection I see is really capable of becoming. Or when I go through days when every song I hear, every line I hear from the television, every comment someone makes reminds me of things that I lack, of traits I wish I had, of people I miss, of things I want in my life but simply don't have.

Sometimes I don't want to tell you about these times, I believe because they make me feel too sad.

But there are so many things that I would tell you, but I can't, because by the time I finally get around to typing my post, the idea is gone, or changed into something unrecognizable. Or because this blog is public, I don't want to really bare my soul too much; instead I'll leave it safely ensconced somewhere behind my breastbone, thank-you-very-much, from which, in the privacy of my room, I may take it out and pat it a few times just to remind myself it's there.

Even now, this post isn't anything I thought it would be. But it is what it is. It's moved into the realm of being rather than just the realm of what might be.

Just know that, when I write about being miffed at choir practice or the joy of having loose and baggy jeans, there's an entire life's worth of unwritten experiences that I have every day but will not or cannot share. (Not that you need to know precicely how my toothpaste tasted, of course--I'm not talking about minutae.) I guess what I'm saying is, please remember that, although a blog is formatted in such a way to give you snippets of my life, it's only the very skin of the thing, never getting beyond the epidermis. But I've got a whole lot of flesh left under that.

As have you.

So come on. Tell me how you're doing. (And in case you were wondering, yes, that meant you.)

5 comments:

NWO said...

Well, lizardbreath, I'm like you: struggling to put words together into something that makes sense. Distracted by shiny things and carnal urges, not to mention coffee addiction, I'm just makin my way through life. Life, though, is good. Of that, i'm sure.

Pat said...

I can so relate to this too - except that I tend to go ahead and "spill the guts" way more than any person should on a public forum! One tends to wonder, as she passes another blogger in real life and exchanges a casual smile - does that person see the smile, or does she picture the battered spleen that was exposed on the previous day's post?
FYI: you have the coolest word verifications here! I'm compiling a list of them, that I would dearly love to get your version of their definitions! ha ha!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

nwo, you're right. Life is definitely good, despite all the moments where making sense is way too evasive.

And Pat, I TOTALLY see the spleen. Every time. Haha! Just kidding. I see the smile, naturally. And the spleen. Um.

Anyway--I'd love to define those word verification thingys! Just post 'em here & I'll see what I can come up with... Hm...

Anonymous said...

In answer to your question, I'm eating an apple and snatching a few minutes of web time while I can. Most of my other minutes are consumed by a little person in a pink sleeper, who is probably about two minutes away from deciding she's hungry.

It's funny--when you have a baby, you look back with a certain nostalgia on the days when you were free to run to the store or even cook a bowl of oatmeal any time you darn well pleased. I wouldn't trade my daughter to get that freedom back, but the sudden cessation of said freedom does make the transition to motherhood a bit tough.

Thanks for humoring me while I mused. This seemed like a good post for it, I guess.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hey--that's what this post is here for. And I'm glad you mused; it's always pleasant to hear musings from good friends. :^)

And I'm sure you'll be able to make oatmeal again sometime. When Joy Ruth is perhaps 12 years old or so.