Sunday, October 08, 2006

Does this hymn make me look hot?

Just as I was wrapping up my singing this evening for the folks at that one retirment home, (you know--the one where I thought I saw Donny Osmond), some folks from the next group arrived, just a bit early. In fact, I was just starting the introductory measures of "Be Still My Soul" when about 5 of them walked in and surreptitiously took seats in the back of the room to listen to my warbling.

While I was a little distracted (I always find it easier to just sing to the old folks rather than younger people) I still felt like the last hymn went off pretty well, which was fortunate since my voice, by that point in the evening, was pretty much shot.

I finished singing, gathered my various books from the piano & floor & started to make my way down the aisle to shake hands with the afore-mentioned (and very, very nice) old folks and thank them for taking the time to come & listen to my poor renditions of old familiar hymns. As the five members of the second group came forward to claim the piano, several of the people in the group (all males, I noted) nodded at, smiled or complimented me on my singing. One of the guys even grinned at me & said, "Great job!" (And he weren't bad lookin' neither.)

So, I have to inquire: does singing hymns make you seem hot? Does singing hymns well to old folks make you appealing to the opposite gender? Did those smiles and nods and little teeny itsy bitsy compliments mean that these young men somehow found me attractive???

Well, no.

Does it mean it gave me something to write about on my blog this evening? (And a super-duper post title?)

Heck, yes.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Well, stranger things have happened! (and that IS a great title!)

Anonymous said...

In my opinion (which means very little) good crooning always makes a person hotter. I was at a community theatre production of the Pirates of Penzance (however you spell that) last weekend and while walking out of the theatre I discovered that several of us ladies were thinking the same thing "oh boy..that lead constable was way hot!" He was in fact not incredibly handsome...but his voice more than made up for it. So singing well definately gives you a few extra points. You lucky girl you! I know its evil but I really enjoy hymns a lot more if I'm sitting next to a guy with a good voice. Ahhhh. Maybe you should start staying later to sing with the next group too...we girls have to take full advantage of whatever gifts we've been given. Good luck next week ;)

Anonymous said...

In answer to your title question: Yes. I'm sure of it.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Well, truth be told, I don't really believe that any of those guys thought I was hot. I think they were just being nice. (But it was kind of fun to pretend for a few minutes...)